Memory Footprint of Eager Mode vs Torch Compiled (Default, with CUDA Graph, and CUDA Graph Dynamic)

I was looking into the performance numbers in the PyTorch Dashboard - the peak memory footprint stats caught my attention.

The plots:

I assume the following:

• default in the above plots, refers to torch.compile(mode="default")
  • cudagraphs refers to torch.compile(mode="reduce-overhead")
  • cudagraphs_dynamic refers to torch.compile(mode="reduce-overhead", dynamic=True)
  • inductor_max_autotune refers to torch.compile(mode="max-autotune")

In the PyTorch CUDA Graph Trees podcast, it is mentioned that CUDA Graphs tend to bloat memory. (It is the general trend I guess, CUDA Graphs are known to bloat memory usage - statically allocated memory blocks, memory pools and others, and the CUDA Graph data structure itself occupies memory)

I don’t know whether I am interpreting the above plots correctly, but it seems that using CUDA Graphs reduces memory usage:

• From the “Peak dynamo memory usage” plot, it seems that, default takes up the most memory (the yellow curve), followed by cudagraphs (the dark blue curve) and cudagraphs_dynamic taking the least (the light green curve) in case of TorchBench.

Am I reading the plots correctly? If so, what is causing this reduction in memory usage? (It seems a bit counterintuitive to me.)

Also, I tried to run the huggingface.py benchmark locally:

./benchmarks/dynamo/huggingface.py --performance --training --amp --backend=inductor --output=huggingface_training.csv

Eager Mode in the above table I guess refers to the execution of the PyTorch Program without using torch.compile.

The above table shows some good compression ratios of the peak memory usage - between Eager Mode and Dynamo. What is the reason for this compression?

Yet again, there are certain models in the local execution, where the compression ratio is <1. What is the reason for that?

CC @marksaroufim for the dashboard questions as you might know the corresponding compile modes.

Yeah I’m also confused by this now cc @eellison