Memory usage in forward/backward

I’m playing with torch.autograd.graph.saved_tensors_hooks to compress the tensors. I found during the process, the following two codes look to have different memory usage (assuming x.size()>> b.size()).

case a)
   x = f(a)
   y = matmul(x.T, b)
   z = matmul(x, c)

case b)
   x = f(a)
   y = matmul(b.T, x)
   z = matmul(x, c)

It looks the case b) keeps using the same x in forward of y,z (verified with id()), while the case a) creates a new instance to save x.T (verified with id()). In that sense, can I say b) is more memory efficient?

Also as a related question, it looks pytorch doesn’t duplicate the same tensor for the forward/backward by looking at the python id of tensors. Is this the right way to check if two tensors point to the same memory allocation?

No, as the transposes should be views and the memory allocations should thus also be identical as seen via print(torch.cuda.memory_summary()).

thanks @ptrblck , but does it hold true for the backward case? Doesn’t autogrid make independent copies of b and b.T? Please correct me if I’m wrong. But if I’m right, then

case a) stores: x, x.T, b, c
case b) stores: x, b.T, b, c

Since x.size()>> b.size(), case a) needs more memory for backward?

No, this should also not be the case and you could profile the memory usage via torch.cuda.memory_summary() to compare both approaches.

print(torch.cuda.memory_summary())
x = torch.randn(1024, 1024).cuda().requires_grad_(True)
b = torch.randn(1024, 1).cuda().requires_grad_(True)
c = torch.randn(1024, 512).cuda().requires_grad_(True)

# y = torch.matmul(x.T, b)
# print(torch.cuda.memory_summary())
# y.mean().backward()
# z = torch.matmul(x, c)
# z.mean().backward()

y = torch.matmul(b.T, x)
y.mean().backward()
z = torch.matmul(x, c)
z.mean().backward()

Both methods show the identical allocations.

@ptrblck really appreciated!