Memory usage increasing with number of steps while training

Hello
As I train the memory usage keeps increasing very rapidly as the number of steps increase.
I have also tried deleting all variables after every iteration.
Train loop:

def train_epoch(model: TransformerNetwork, optimizer):
    global mem_used_arr_mbs
    mem_used_arr_mbs = []
    model.train()
    losses = 0
    train_iter = EnHindiDataset(split='train', language_pair=(SRC_LANGUAGE, TGT_LANGUAGE), limit=200_000)
    train_dataloader = DataLoader(train_iter, batch_size=BATCH_SIZE, collate_fn=collate_fn)

for src, tgt in tqdm(train_dataloader):
        mem_used = int(get_gpu_memory_usage().split()[0])
        mem_used_arr_mbs.append(mem_used)
        src = src.to(DEVICE)
        tgt = tgt.to(DEVICE)

tgt_input = tgt[:-1, :]

src_mask, tgt_mask, src_padding_mask, tgt_padding_mask = model.create_mask(src, tgt_input)

logits = model(src, tgt_input, src_mask, tgt_mask,src_padding_mask, tgt_padding_mask, src_padding_mask)

optimizer.zero_grad()

tgt_out = tgt[1:, :]
        loss = loss_fn(logits.reshape(-1, logits.shape[-1]), tgt_out.reshape(-1))
        loss.backward()

optimizer.step()
        losses += loss.item()

del src, tgt, tgt_input
        del src_mask, tgt_mask, src_padding_mask, tgt_padding_mask
        del logits, tgt_out, loss

return losses / len(train_dataloader)

Graph of memory usage vs n_steps. On x-axis are the steps and on y is the memory usage in mbs.
I don’t understand why the memory usage increases after each step, as pytorch don’t even need to store any information about the last step.

Memory consumption with time:

After the epoch is some % complete I get this error:

Please help
Kindly inform me if any more information is needed.

Here’s the full colab notebook if helps Google Colab

In this situation one way to isolate the source of the growing memory usage is to remove parts of the training loop incrementally to see when the memory usage stops increasing.

yes but since the training loop is already very simple, I don’t think I could remove anything else from it. I also tried on a 16gb gpu and it was able to complete 1 epoch, and the memory usage is stable at 97% right now. Though it might crash later

I encounter similar problem. What’s the version of your pytorch? Have u solved it?