MiniBatch size by iteration

Hi PyTorch lovers,

I’m facing an issue or an ununderstood of how the Pytorch autograd works.

I’m working with a big model where I’m only able to feed it image by image. Whatsoever, I would like to train it using a batch size greater than 1. Obviously, my image doesn’t have the same size. My data loader already push lists of image (My images are so big I need to split them and feed them one by one). If I understand well, the collate_fn function is not the solution for that (In my case, it will produce a list of lists, and not sure it helps a lot…). I read somewhere on the forum somebody talking about performing the forward on X images and perform the backward on the graphs constructed. Sadly, impossible to retrieve this post, sorry…

I proposed my solutions below (Dummy example) of my code and I would like to ask you if I handle properly the pipeline of X time forward-loss-backward-optimizer.step()-optimizer.zero_grad().

When I set the cfg[“Config”][“backwardEach”] to 1 (batch size of 1), It works, but when I use 4 or 8 my metrics fail and my models finish by inferring only 0 tensor array as output.

My model is split into a feature extractor(model1) and a segmentation model(model2). Otherwise, the code is very simplified because the one I use is made to handle different config but I think the below one should explain my idea =) If the one proposed here is correct I will probably give you my more complex implementation
The only thing that can have an impact is the losses. In the real case, I saved them iteratively into a dict and before the backward, I sum them.

loss = 0
backwardEach = 1
for epoch in range(cfg["Config"]["N_Epochs"]):
        for Input, Gt, in trainingset:    #Iteration along one sample
            for In, gt in zip( Input, Gt ):         #Iteration along patches from one sample
                In = In.to(cfg["Cuda"]["device"])
                gt = gt.to(cfg["Cuda"]["device"])

features = model1(In)
                output = model2(features)
                loss += criterion(output, gt)

if backwardEach / cfg["Config"]["backwardEach"] == 1:
                    loss.backward()
                    optimizer.step()
                    optimizer.zero_grad()

loss = 0
                    backwardEach = 1
                else:
                    backwardEach+=1

Your code looks correct, but you might want to divide the accumulated loss by the number of accumulation steps. Also, here is a nice overview of different approaches in case you want to trade compute for memory etc.

Hi @ptrblck,

Thanks a lot for your feedback and tips for the loss. I check the link you proposed and it helps me a lot to understand this forward-backward process. I also play with the optimizer and learning rate to get a smoother gradient descent and everything works well now.
I also was able to reduce my GPU memory from 22Gb to 6Gb using the solution proposed by @albanD (where he presents the 3 training loops).

BTW, thanks a lot for maintaining this forum. I’m using Pytorch for one year and it helps me a lot to dig into its usage =)

1 Like