Mlp classification using pytorch

Hello

I am using pytorch for build MLP neural network for multiclass classification.

epochs = 100 # to have 100 training epochs
for epoch in range(epochs):
batch_loss = 0

for data in train_loader:
    input, output = data

#it is required to zero out the gradients so that we update parameter update correctly. Otherwise the gradient may not point towards the indetended direction than towards the minimum 
    optimizer.zero_grad() 

predicted = network.forward(input) # a batch of 10 will be applied. neural network will apply the sum function and the sigmoid activation function and it will do prediction on that basis
    print(predicted.shape)
    print("output",output.shape)

#_,pred_label = torch.max(predicted, dim = 1)
    #correct = (pred_label == output).float()

#loss = criterion(y_pred.squeeze(), y_train)
    loss = loss(predicted.squeeze(), output) #predicted.shape (10, 5) , output.shape - 10
    loss.backward() #to apply the back propogation algorithm
    optimizer.step() #to update the weights

batch_loss += loss.item() #error which is calculated for each of the batch

#to print the loss for each epoch 
print('Epoch: ' + str(epoch + 1) + ' has a average loss of : ' + str(batch_loss / len(train_loader)))

on running the above code, I am getting following error -

RuntimeError Traceback (most recent call last)
in
18 #loss = criterion(y_pred.squeeze(), y_train)
—> 19 loss = loss(predicted.squeeze(), output) #to calculate the mean squared error defined in above cell.
20 loss.backward() #to apply the back propogation algorithm
21 optimizer.step() #to update the weights

C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\modules\module.py in _call_impl(self, *input, **kwargs)
887 result = self._slow_forward(*input, **kwargs)
888 else:
→ 889 result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
890 for hook in itertools.chain(
891 _global_forward_hooks.values(),

C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\modules\loss.py in forward(self, input, target)
527 def forward(self, input: Tensor, target: Tensor) → Tensor:
→ 528 return F.mse_loss(input, target, reduction=self.reduction)

C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\functional.py in mse_loss(input, target, size_average, reduce, reduction)
2923 reduction = _Reduction.legacy_get_string(size_average, reduce)
→ 2925 expanded_input, expanded_target = torch.broadcast_tensors(input, target)
2926 return torch._C._nn.mse_loss(expanded_input, expanded_target, _Reduction.get_enum(reduction))

C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\torch\functional.py in broadcast_tensors(*tensors)
72 if has_torch_function(tensors):
73 return handle_torch_function(broadcast_tensors, tensors, *tensors)
—> 74 return _VF.broadcast_tensors(tensors) # type: ignore

RuntimeError: The size of tensor a (5) must match the size of tensor b (10) at non-singleton dimension 1

How can I rectify it?

Thanks

I guess the squeeze operation is not needed and will create an error, e.g. if the last batch contains only one sample:

loss = loss(predicted.squeeze(), output)

Based on the comment predicted should have a shape of [10, 5]. If that’s the shape before applying the squeeze operation, just remove it and pass the tensors directly to the criterion:

loss = criterion(predicted, output)

Also, rename the loss function to criterion or any other name, as you are overriding it with the loss tensor.

Unrelated to this issue, but call the model directly to execute the forward pass as:

predicted = network(input)

instead of the .forward method.

PS: you can post code snippets by wrapping them into three backticks ```, which makes debugging easier. :wink:

Hey
I tried all your suggestions. But still, I am getting the same error :frowning:

Could you post the model definition as well as the input shapes, so that we could reproduce this issue, please?