Model doesn't train correctly with custom Dataset with DataLoader(.., num_workers>0)

This has been bugging me the last few days. I have narrowed this issue down (I hope) to my custom dataset, that subclasses the torch.utils.data.Dataset.
The model trains fine with num_workers=0 in the dataloader. Different to all the other topics, I can train with num_workers>0, but get weird results: instead of converging to ~70% accuracy and corresponding loss, the model converges to ~20% accuracy, and also weird numbers in validation.

1. My code has a if __name__ == "__main__" safeguard and is simply called with python main.py
  2. I only change the num_workers parameter in the training dataloader
  3. I can train fine with other datasets, say torchvision.datasets.MNIST
  4. My custom dataset has the following __getitem__ function:
    def __getitem__(self, idx):
        sample = json.loads(self.data[idx])
        x = torch.tensor(sample["x"])
        label = sample["y"]
        return x, label

which doesn’t look like something could go wrong in the num_workers>0 multiprocessing. Any tips? For now, I can work with num_workers=0, but I am taking a performance hit, I would rather not have.

Further investigation shows that I can get both options (num_workers=0 and num_workers>0) to behave the same by turning off shuffling in the training dataloader. How exactly is shuffled and yielded with multiple workers? Is it still guaranteed that the each sample in the dataset is only shown once per epoch?

Alright, solved it, finally.
It seems that each worker clones everything, meaning in my case also my self-defined collator. In this, I generated my one-hot encodings on the fly, which meant that with multiple workers they don’t necessarily match up, because of randomness in batch index generation.
This was solved by putting the one hot encoding in the __getitem__ function of the dataset.
Leaving this up as a reminder for my stupidity.