Model.eval() has no effect on classification accuracy on CIFAR-10

I am relatively new to PyTorch, I have trained a CNN model to perform classification on CIFAR-10 dataset. I’m aware when a CNN has layers like dropout or batch normalization, the model should be set to evaluation mode when computing the accuracy else the accuracy will be different but in my case it remains unchanged i.e. my final accuracy is always 64-66% (first 4 classes) with or without adding net.eval(). I’ve also used nn.Dropout instead of nn.functional.Dropout but despite the results, I’m not very sure what’s causing this behavior.

Since training my model on all 10 classes from scratch takes time, that’s why for my own testing purposes I am only training my model on the first 4 classes. Any suggestions will be very helpful!, my program is as follows:

#========DEFINE THE CNN MODEL=====
class Net(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self):
        super(Net, self).__init__()
        self.conv1 = nn.Conv2d(in_channels=3, out_channels=32, kernel_size=3, stride=1, padding=1)#SAME PADDING
        self.conv2 = nn.Conv2d(in_channels=32, out_channels=32, kernel_size=3, stride=1, padding=0)#VALID PADDING
        self.pool1 = nn.MaxPool2d(2,2) #VALID PADDING
        self.drop1 = nn.Dropout(0.25) #DROPOUT OF 0.25

self.conv3 = nn.Conv2d(in_channels=32, out_channels=64, kernel_size=3, stride=1, padding=1)#SAME PADDING
        self.conv4 = nn.Conv2d(in_channels=64, out_channels=64, kernel_size=3, stride=1, padding=0)#VALID PADDING
        self.pool2 = nn.MaxPool2d(2,2)#VALID PADDING
        self.drop2 = nn.Dropout(0.25) #DROPOUT OF 0.25

self.conv5 = nn.Conv2d(in_channels=64, out_channels=128, kernel_size=3, stride=1, padding=1)#SAME PADDING
        self.conv6 = nn.Conv2d(in_channels=128, out_channels=128, kernel_size=3, stride=1, padding=0)#VALID PADDING
        self.pool3 = nn.MaxPool2d(2,2)#VALID PADDING
        self.drop3 = nn.Dropout(0.25) #DROPOUT OF 0.25

self.fc1 = nn.Linear(128*2*2, 512)#128*2*2 IS OUTPUT DIMENSION AFTER THE PREVIOUS LAYER 
        self.drop4 = nn.Dropout(0.25) #DROPOUT OF 0.25
        self.fc2 = nn.Linear(512,4) #4 output nodes

#FORWARD PROPAGATION FUNCTION
    def forward(self, x):
        x = F.relu(self.conv1(x))
        x = F.relu(self.conv2(x))
        x = self.pool1(x)
        x = self.drop1(x)

x = F.relu(self.conv3(x))
        x = F.relu(self.conv4(x))
        x = self.pool2(x)
        x = self.drop2(x)

x = F.relu(self.conv5(x))
        x = F.relu(self.conv6(x))
        x = self.pool3(x)
        x = self.drop3(x)

x = x.view(-1,2*2*128) #FLATTENING OPERATION 2*2*128 IS OUTPUT AFTER THE PREVIOUS LAYER
        x = F.relu(self.fc1(x))
        x = self.drop4(x)
        x = self.fc2(x) #LAST LAYER DOES NOT NEED SOFTMAX BECAUSE THE LOSS FUNCTION WILL TAKE CARE OF IT
        return x

#=======FUNCTION TO CONVERT INPUT AND TARGET TO TORCH TENSORS AND LOADING INTO GPU======
def PrepareInputDataAndTargetData(device,images,labels,batch_size):

#GET MINI BATCH OF TRAINING IMAGES AND RESHAPE THE TORCH TENSOR FOR CNN PROCESSING
    mini_batch_images = torch.tensor(images)
    mini_batch_images = mini_batch_images.view(batch_size,3,32,32)

#GET MINI BATCH OF TRAINING LABELS, TARGET SHOULD BE IN LONG FORMAT SO CONVERT THAT TOO
    mini_batch_labels = torch.tensor(labels)
    mini_batch_labels = mini_batch_labels.long()

#FEED THE INPUT DATA AND TARGET LABELS TO GPU
    mini_batch_images = mini_batch_images.to(device)
    mini_batch_labels = mini_batch_labels.to(device)

return mini_batch_images,mini_batch_labels

#==========MAIN PROGRAM==========
device = torch.device("cuda:0" if torch.cuda.is_available() else "cpu")
#get_train_data() and get_test_data() are my own custom functions to get CIFAR-10 dataset 
Images_train, Labels_train, Class_train = get_train_data(0,10)
Images_test, Labels_test, Class_test = get_test_data(0,10)

#TRAINING AND TEST DATA FOR FIRST 4 CLASSES
Images_train = Images_train[0:20000]
Labels_train = Labels_train[0:20000]

Images_test = Images_test[0:4000]
Labels_test = Labels_test[0:4000]

net = Net()
net = net.double() #https://discuss.pytorch.org/t/runtimeerror-expected-object-of-scalar-type-double-but-got-scalar-type-float-for-argument-2-weight/38961

#MAP THE MODEL ONTO THE GPU
net = net.to(device)

#CROSS ENTROPY LOSS FUNCTION AND ADAM OPTIMIZER
criterion = nn.CrossEntropyLoss()
optimizer = optim.Adam(net.parameters(), lr=1e-4)

#PREPARE THE DATALOADER
#Images_train contains images and Labels_trains contains indices i.e. 0,1,...,9 
dataset = TensorDataset( Tensor(Images_train), Tensor(Labels_train) )
trainloader = DataLoader(dataset, batch_size= 128, shuffle=True)

#START TRAINING THE CNN MODEL FOR 50 EPOCHS
for epoch in range(0,20):
    for i, data in enumerate(trainloader, 0):
        inputs, labels = data
        inputs = torch.tensor(inputs).double()
        inputs = inputs.view(len(inputs),3,32,32) #RESHAPE THE IMAGES
        labels = labels.long() #MUST CONVERT LABEL TO LONG FORMAT

#MAP THE INPUT AND LABELS TO THE GPU
        inputs=inputs.to(device)
        labels=labels.to(device)

#FORWARD PROP, BACKWARD PROP, PARAMETER UPDATE
        optimizer.zero_grad()
        outputs = net.forward(inputs)
        loss = criterion(outputs, labels)
        loss.backward()
        optimizer.step()

#PUT THE MODEL IN EVALUATION MODE
net.eval()

#CALCULATE CLASSIFICATION ACCURACY ON ALL 10 CLASSES
with torch.no_grad():
    Images_class,Labels_class = PrepareInputDataAndTargetData(device,Images_test,Labels_test,len(Images_test)) #MAP TEST IMAGES AND LABELS TO GPU
    network_outputs = net.forward(Images_class) #FORWARD PASS ON THE MODEL
    correct = (torch.argmax(network_outputs.data,1) == Labels_class.data).float().sum()
    acc = float(100.0*(correct/len(Images_test)))
    print("Accuracy is: "+str(acc)+"\n")

I’m not sure what your utility functions are doing exactly, but the code looks fine besides some minor issues.
E.g. you should call the model directly (model(intputs)) instead of its forward method.

If you expect the train loss to be higher than the validation loss, you could try to increase the drop probability of your dropout layers and rerun the experiment.

Hi @ptrblck, I’ve changed net.forward(inputs) to net(inputs) , unfortunately there’s still no change. To debug further, I removed ALL dropouts and also implemented the same model in Keras (no dropouts as well) where accuracy is ~80% but in PyTorch it’s still ~65%, I think this indicates an error in my training procedure in PyTorch. However, in Keras the label is in categorical format but in Pytorch the label is an integer index itself.

Could it be a loss function issue due to different label format? because I’ve implemented everything else exactly the same in both frameworks: utility functions, model architecture, learning rate, optimizer, batch size, number of epochs, data shuffling. I’ll re-check everything especially my model architecture and forward function, till then any suggestions will be extremely helpful.