Multiple parallel Models in One Model

I would like to create a model with Pytorch that has several identical models not connected by autograd, but would train in parallel. However, I’m running into issues with performing the backward pass on the current way I’ve structured it. How would you structure this to run concurrent models in a single model? I.e. the inputs flow through separate parallel paths and should have their loss and backward prop be kept separate.

import torch
import torch.nn as nn

class DummyModel(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, in_size, hidden_size, out_size, num_advisors):
        super().__init__()
        self.n1 = in_size
        self.h1 = hidden_size
        self.n2 = out_size
        self.num_advisors = num_advisors

self.modlist = nn.ModuleList()
        for _ in range(self.num_advisors):
            self.modlist.append(
                nn.Sequential(nn.Linear(self.n1, self.h1), nn.Linear(self.h1, self.h1), nn.Linear(self.h1, self.n2)))

self.sigm = nn.Sigmoid()

def forward(self, x):
        return self.sigm(torch.stack([_(x) for _ in self.modlist], dim=1))

in_size = 10
hidden_size = 64
out_size = 1
num_advisors = 20
batch_size = 100

model = DummyModel(in_size, hidden_size, out_size, num_advisors)
loss_func = nn.BCELoss()

dummy_inputs = torch.rand((batch_size, in_size))
dummy_targets = torch.rand((batch_size, num_advisors, 1))

dummy_outputs= model(dummy_inputs)
loss=torch.stack([loss_func(dummy_outputs[:,x,:], dummy_targets[:,x,:]) for x in range(dummy_outputs.size()[1])])
loss.backward()

The error is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "scratch.py", line 38, in <module>
    loss.backward()
  File "pythonProject1\lib\site-packages\torch\_tensor.py", line 396, in backward
    torch.autograd.backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph, inputs=inputs)
  File "pythonProject1\lib\site-packages\torch\autograd\__init__.py", line 166, in backward
    grad_tensors_ = _make_grads(tensors, grad_tensors_, is_grads_batched=False)
  File "pythonProject1\lib\site-packages\torch\autograd\__init__.py", line 67, in _make_grads
    raise RuntimeError("grad can be implicitly created only for scalar outputs")
RuntimeError: grad can be implicitly created only for scalar outputs

According to the error message, the tensor you are trying to call backward on isn’t a scalar, but rather a vector.

Did you mean it to be scalar valued? If not, I can further help you with how to use backward with vectors - let me know.