Multivariate LSTM Sequence to Sequence model

I am trying to build a simple encoder - decoder network on time-series data however I am not entirely sure if my implementation is correct.

The training loss (MSE) fluctuates but overall appears to decrease over the first epoch, but then it stalls. Similarly validation error does not decrease after the first epoch

The basic model I’ve started with:

class Encoder(nn.Module):
    def __init__(
        self, number_of_features: int, sequence_length: int, hidden_size: int, num_layers: int, dropout: float
    ):
        super(Encoder, self).__init__()

self.sequence_length = sequence_length
        self.number_of_features = number_of_features

self.hidden_size = hidden_size
        self.num_layers = num_layers
        self.dropout_amount = dropout

self.lstm = nn.LSTM(
            input_size=number_of_features,
            hidden_size=hidden_size,
            num_layers=num_layers,
            dropout=dropout
        )

def init_hidden(self, batch_size, device='cpu'):
        return (torch.zeros(self.num_layers, batch_size, self.hidden_size).to(device),
                torch.zeros(self.num_layers, batch_size, self.hidden_size).to(device))

def forward(self, data):
        _, hidden = self.lstm(data, self.hidden)

return hidden

class Decoder(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, input_size, hidden_size, output_size, num_layers, dropout):
        super(Decoder, self).__init__()

self.input_size = input_size
        self.hidden_size = hidden_size
        self.output_size = output_size
        self.num_layers = num_layers
        self.dropout = dropout

self.lstm = nn.LSTM(input_size, hidden_size, num_layers, dropout=dropout)
        self.out = nn.Linear(hidden_size, output_size)

def forward(self, point_in_time, hidden):
        output, hidden = self.lstm(point_in_time, hidden)
        output = self.out(output[-1])

return output, hidden

Based on the single feature that I have to predict and the time, I’ve crafted a few extra features, such as sin/cos for the time, and a moving average thus creating a DataFrame with 4 columns.

Afterwards I used sliding window to create sequences of length 20 (for testing) with the following code:

def _create_sequences(data: np.ndarray, window: int = 20) -> (np.array, np.array):
    length = len(data)
    sequences = []

for index in range(length - window):
        end_window_index = index + window

sequence = data[index:end_window_index]
        next_in_sequence = data[index + 1:end_window_index + 1][:, 0]

sequences.append([sequence, next_in_sequence])

return sequences 

At this point my dataset is compromised of a list of tupples each containing the sequence (X) (20 sequence length x 4 features) and the next sequence (t+1) (Y) (20).

I split the data to train/val sets (80/20) and push them to the DataLoader to get the data in batches of size 25.

The training section is the following:

encoder = Encoder(number_of_features=4, sequence_length=20, hidden_size=256, num_layers=2, dropout=0.3)
decoder = Decoder(input_size=1, hidden_size=256, output_size=1, num_layers=2, dropout=0.3)

def train(loader, current_epoch, teacher_forcing_ratio=0.75):
    encoder.train()
    decoder.train()

total_loss = 0

encoder.hidden = encoder.init_hidden(args.batch_size, device=device)

for i, batch in enumerate(loader):
        encoder_optimizer.zero_grad()
        decoder_optimizer.zero_grad()

x = batch[0] # (Shape 25 x 20 x 4)
        y = batch[1] # (Shape 25 x 20)

x = x.to(device)
        y = y.to(device)

x = x.permute(1, 0, 2) # Change the order to pass it to the LSTM Shape now is 20 x 25 x 4
        y = y.permute(1, 0)    # Change the order to 20 x 25

max_sequence, batch_size = y.shape

hidden = encoder(x)

use_teacher_forcing = True if random.random() < teacher_forcing_ratio else False

# Create initial start value/token
        input = torch.tensor([[0.0]] * batch_size, dtype=torch.float).to(device)

# Convert (batch_size, output_size) to (seq_len, batch_size, output_size)
        input = input.unsqueeze(0)

sequence_total_loss = 0

for seq_idx in range(max_sequence):
            output, hidden = decoder(input, hidden)

if use_teacher_forcing:
                input = y[seq_idx].view(1, -1, 1)
            else:
                input = output.unsqueeze(0)

sequence_total_loss += criterion(output.view(-1), y[seq_idx])

sequence_total_loss.backward()

cur_loss = sequence_total_loss / max_sequence

total_loss += cur_loss

encoder_optimizer.step()
        decoder_optimizer.step()

I’ve used two Adam optimizers (one for the encoder and one for the decoder). I’ve also tried changing the model size, sequence length, batch size but it didn’t appear to make a difference

If anyone could take the time and give me any hints on where I may have got it wrong I would very much appreciate it.

I’m coming back to say that I’ve still haven’t figured out what’s wrong although I now have more clues.

Following the seq2seq translation tutorial I’ve removed the batches entirely and iterated both on the inputs and outputs in a for loop as such:

for x_idx in range(max_x_sequence):
       encoder_output, encoder_hidden = encoder(x[x_idx].view(1, 1, -1), encoder_hidden)

decoder_hidden = encoder_hidden
sequence_total_loss = 0

for seq_idx in range(max_y_sequence):
       output, decoder_hidden = decoder(input, decoder_hidden)
       sequence_total_loss += criterion(output, y[seq_idx].view(1, -1))

What I’ve figured out is that the gradients propagated back to the encoder are tiny and I am guessing this is the reason my network never converges.

These are the absolute means of the gradients of each layer in the model and the bottom lines are the means of the gradients reaching the encoder.

I took it one step further and removed the encoder entirely. i.e. I’ve passed the encoder_hidden initial variable to the decoder without getting it though the forward pass of the encoder. This is the result in the training loss:

The green line is a run with the encoder present, while the blue line is a run without the encoder. This validated my initial finding on the gradients not modifying the encoder weights at all.

I’ve made many iterations over the days like changing the loss from MSE to RMSE to increase the loss so that the gradients would be bigger, or scaling up the features and/or the y values symmetrically on both train and validation

So now I’m completely stuck. I would be most grateful for any ideas on what could be wrong.

Hey,

I am working on the same type of problem, I implemented a similar model for time series prediction and it seems the loss fluctuates a lot.

I am still debugging my code, but in the meantime did you figure out what was the issue ?