Newbie eval function question

Hi. I’m new to pytorch and I’m working on the babi data set. I have some code that works when I train, but not eval. During train I get improving accuracy over time, but during eval I don’t. I get a maximum below 48 % accuracy. Meanwhile while I’m training I can actually acheive 99 or 100 % accuracy. The dataset comes in two parts. There is a set of 1000 questions and another test set of 1000 more. I have split the test set in half for validation and testing. From this I have a data set with train/validation/test proportions of 50/25/25. My code is messy and I want to include as little of it as possible. The pytorch modules are composed of some ‘gru’ and some ‘linear’ and some other components (like embeddings). My basic question is how do I make sure that dropout computations (and similar things) are removed when I call the ‘eval()’ method on a model? What is the proper way of calling eval() ?? I will include some module code. This isn’t everything.

class EpisodicAttn(nn.Module):

def __init__(self,  hidden_size, a_list_size=5):
        super(EpisodicAttn, self).__init__()

self.hidden_size = hidden_size

self.a_list_size = a_list_size

self.W_1 = nn.Linear( self.a_list_size * hidden_size,1)
        self.W_2 = nn.Linear(1, hidden_size)

self.next_mem = nn.Linear(3 * hidden_size, hidden_size)

self.reset_parameters()

def reset_parameters(self):
        stdv = 1.0 / math.sqrt(self.hidden_size)
        for weight in self.parameters():
            weight.data.uniform_(-stdv, stdv)

def forward(self,concat_list):

assert len(concat_list) == self.a_list_size
        ''' attention list '''
        self.c_list_z = torch.cat(concat_list,dim=1)

self.c_list_z = self.c_list_z.view(1,-1)

self.l_1 = self.W_1(self.c_list_z)

self.l_1 = torch.tanh(self.l_1)

self.l_2 = self.W_2(self.l_1)

self.G = F.sigmoid(self.l_2)[0]

return  self.G

class CustomGRU(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, input_size, hidden_size):
        super(CustomGRU, self).__init__()
        self.Wr = nn.Linear(input_size, hidden_size)

self.Ur = nn.Linear(hidden_size, hidden_size)

self.W = nn.Linear(input_size, hidden_size)

self.U = nn.Linear(hidden_size, hidden_size)

self.reset_parameters()

def reset_parameters(self):
        stdv = 1.0 / math.sqrt(self.hidden_size)
        for weight in self.parameters():
            weight.data.uniform_(-stdv, stdv)

def forward(self, fact, C):
        r = F.sigmoid(self.Wr(fact) + self.Ur(C))
        h_tilda = F.tanh(self.W(fact) + r * self.U(C))

return h_tilda

class MemRNN(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, hidden_size):
        super(MemRNN, self).__init__()

self.gru = nn.GRU(hidden_size, hidden_size, num_layers=1, batch_first=False,bidirectional=False)
        #self.gru = CustomGRU(hidden_size,hidden_size)

def forward(self, input, hidden=None):
        #_, hidden = self.gru(input,hidden)
        output,hidden = self.gru(input, hidden)
        #output = 0
        return output, hidden

class Encoder(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, source_vocab_size, embed_dim, hidden_dim,
                 n_layers, dropout, bidirectional=False, embedding=None):
        super(Encoder, self).__init__()
        self.hidden_dim = hidden_dim
        self.n_layers = n_layers
        self.bidirectional = bidirectional
        self.embed = nn.Embedding(source_vocab_size, embed_dim, padding_idx=1)
        self.gru = nn.GRU(embed_dim, hidden_dim, n_layers, dropout=dropout, bidirectional=bidirectional)
        if embedding is not None:
            self.embed.weight.data.copy_(torch.from_numpy(embedding))
            print('embedding encoder')
        #self.gru = MGRU(self.hidden_dim)

def forward(self, source, hidden=None):
        embedded = self.embed(source)  # (batch_size, seq_len, embed_dim)
        encoder_out, encoder_hidden = self.gru( embedded, hidden)  # (seq_len, batch, hidden_dim*2)
        #encoder_hidden = self.gru( embedded, hidden)  # (seq_len, batch, hidden_dim*2)

# sum bidirectional outputs, the other option is to retain concat features
        if self.bidirectional:
            encoder_out = (encoder_out[:, :, :self.hidden_dim] +
                           encoder_out[:, :, self.hidden_dim:])

#encoder_out = 0
        return encoder_out, encoder_hidden

Before calling the evaluation code you should set your model into evaluation mode by calling model.eval() on it.
This will make sure to set all layers to eval, such as Dropout and BachNorm layers.
You don’t need to remove these layers or do something else with it.

Also during evaluation you should use a context manager to disable the gradient calculation:

model.eval()
with torch.no_grad():
    # your evaluation code

Remember to set the model to train before training with model.train().

Regarding the overfitting:
Are you observing the training and validation accuracy? Does the validation accuracy drop after a while?
Have you considered early stopping?
It’s good to see that your resubstitution error is low, i.e. that you can overfit on your training data.
Now you could add some more regularization techniques like weight decay, more dropout etc.

Thanks for responding so fast. I have tried the code you suggested and I am stuck without any improvement. My testing and evaluation data shows the same accuracy. The accuracy doesn’t drop after a while. If it does it’s only by a few points and then it comes back to previous levels. (46 - 48%) I am able to overfit on the training data as you said. I have also tried lowering the learning rate after a while by stopping the program and starting it again with new learning rate. This helps the training but still not the eval or test.

Are you suggesting that I should add more dropout now? Is the goal to bring the training down or the eval up? I would of course prefer the latter.

You might lose some of your training accuracy, but will most likely gain more validation accuracy, which is your goal. Unfortunately I’m not really familiar with text data, so I don’t know, if any data augmentations are available or what kind of regularization is state of the art now. :frowning:

is there a way to print out the eval() or train() status while doing these things so that I can be sure I’m properly applying the two?

Sure, you can just use print(model.training) to check, if it’s currently in train or not.

I’m still stuck with a validation accuracy around 50%. I have tried approaching people who have done this problem before (using the babi dataset) but none of them have responded. I would like to keep this thread open and try to get some more feedback from the pytorch community. Does anyone have any ideas why my model would evaluate at 50% during validation and 99-100% during training? I have made changes to the pytorch models. I have increased my dropout to 0.5 in many of my submodules. I have tried weight decay. A link to my most recent code is here: https://github.com/radiodee1/awesome-chatbot/blob/master/model/babi_iv.py . Thanks.

EDIT: I found this paper and it helps alot: https://arxiv.org/abs/1603.01417