Output of CNN used for regression converges to mean of training data

Hi everyone!
I used a CNN to do regression on a trainings set to estimate the parameters of a line (mx+b). For this purpose I generated Images with Matlab which plots one line (consisting of randomly initialized values for m and b in the range of [-10,10]) per picture.

While training, my outputs converge to 0 for m and b since this is the mean value of both my inputs.

sample image:
image3

The CNN used looks like this:

def __init__(self):
        self.layer1 = nn.Sequential(
            nn.Conv2d(1, 6, kernel_size=2, stride=1),
            nn.ReLU(),
            nn.MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2, stride=2))
        self.layer2 = nn.Sequential(
            nn.Conv2d(6, 16, kernel_size=3, stride=1),
            nn.ReLU(),
            nn.MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2, stride=2))
        self.drop_out = nn.Dropout()
        self.fc1 = nn.Linear(16 * 55 * 55, 120)
        self.fc2 = nn.Linear(120, 84)
        self.fc3 = nn.Linear(84, 2)

def forward(self, x):
        out = self.layer1(x)
        out = self.layer2(out)
        out = out.reshape(out.size(0), -1)
        out = self.fc1(out)
        out = self.fc2(out)
        out = self.fc3(out)
        return out

Is the CNN used for this task correct? How should I improve my model to do better in regression?
@ptrblck I read in one of your replies (May 18) that you had a similar issue?

Can you post your input image here? Is it a black line drawn on a white bg(or vice-versa)?
Also from my understanding of your problem formulation, you’re trying to estimate m and b values given an input image. If that’s the case, this doesn’t seem to be a correct/intuitive function mapping.

I added the input image to original post.

What do you mean by incorrect function mapping? In my point of view, at least for the parameter m there should only exist one solution. Also for b the solution should be unique as long as the coordinate system is the same for every image (which is the case in my set).

I found out that I forgot to use an activation function (now relu()) for the last two fully connected layers. Now it works out quite well! I am still thankful for any other tips or comments on how to improve regression performance using a CNN!