Pack_padded_sequence with unsorted question length

Hi, I am the first time using the pack_padded_sequence , and it seems to input the sequence length in a decreasing order. Here is the default pack_padded_sequence package from official website

torch.nn.utils.rnn.pack_padded_sequence(input, lengths, batch_first=False, enforce_sorted=True)

• enforce_sorted: if True , the input is expected to contain sequences sorted by length in a decreasing order. If False , the input will get sorted unconditionally. Default: True

It also mentions that enforce_sorted = True is only necessary for ONNX export., what is this mean? If I want to input the length without sorting, can I simply set it to False?

below is my idea of implement

# in dataset class; 
#return the question idx after padding and the original question length
class VQADataset(Dataset):
    def __getitem__(self, idx):
        return sample{'question': question, 'length':len(qst_token)}

# in model class
class model(nn.Module):
    def forward(self, qst, qst_length):
        word = self.embedding(qst) 
        qst_length = qst_length.tolist()             
        packed = rnn.pack_padded_sequence(word , qst_length, batch_first=True)

So, the length of question will be different every batch. can I simply set the enforce_sorted into False ?

Yes, if you are not planning to export the model via ONNX, you could use enforce_sorted=False and pass the unsorted padded sequence to this method.

This is the explaination from the internet. ONNX (Open Neural Network Exchange) is an open container format for the exchange of neural network models between different frameworks.

So, if I only use pytorch and not convert into tensorflow. I can simply set it to False, right?

Yes, if you use PyTorch without any intention to use ONNX, you can set this argument to False.