Plot 4D tensor as image

Hi All, I’m trying to plot a randomly sampled image from my test data as shown in the code below but I get this error TypeError: Invalid dimensions for image data. The image tensor is a 4D tensor with shape (TestBatchSIze, Channels, height, width). Any ideas to help resolve this error and plot the data are welcomed.

plt.imshow expects a numpy array in the shape [height, width, channels].
Given your input has the shape [batch_size, channels, height, width] this should work:

batch_size, channels, height, width = 2, 3, 224, 224
x = torch.randn(batch_size, channels, height, width)

# select a sample from the batch
img = x[0]
# permute to match the desired memory format
img = img.permute(1, 2, 0).numpy()
plt.imshow(img)

@ptrblck. The no. of channels in my image tensor is 10, hence when I use permute I still get the same error. I guess permute expects the no. of channels to be 3 or 4. Is there a way to plot if the no. of channels is more than 4?

permute will work on any number of channels, as it’s only permuting the dimensions.
plt.imshow expects an “image format”, i.e. a numpy array with either 3 channels (RGB), a single channel (grayscale), or no channel dimension (also grayscale or an arbitrary matrix which will be visualized using the specified colormap).
10 channels do not represent a valid image format so you won’t be able to visualize it directly.
I don’t know what this data represents, but you might want to create 10 subplots, where each one visualizes a single channel.