Problems with target arrays of int (int32) types in loss functions

I was trying to run a simple model on a dataset where I loaded my dataset into a np.float32 array and the target labels into a np.int32 array. Now, PyTorch would automatically keep this types when converting them into tensors via from_numpy (e.g., the data would be Float and the labels would be Int). However, the loss function expects Longs instead of Ints. (Or maybe I made a mistake somewhere). I

(On a side note, would you recommend using doubles and longs over floats and ints performance-wise?)

I posted a simplified example below, where I have to cast the target array to long (loss = F.nll_loss(output, target.long())); otherwise, I get a TypeError:

TypeError: FloatClassNLLCriterion_updateOutput 
received an invalid combination of arguments - 
got (int, torch.FloatTensor, torch.IntTensor, torch.FloatTensor, bool, NoneType, torch.FloatTensor), 
but expected (int state, torch.FloatTensor input, torch.LongTensor target, torch.FloatTensor output, bool sizeAverage, [torch.FloatTensor weights or None], torch.FloatTensor total_weight)

I was wondering if this is desired behavior (i.e., that the the loss function expects LongTensors)?

(PS: Is there a tensor attribute to return the type, e.g., sth like NumPys my_array.dtype?)

class Net(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self):
        super(Net, self).__init__()
        self.conv1 = nn.Conv2d(1, 20, kernel_size=5)
        self.conv2 = nn.Conv2d(20, 32, kernel_size=5)
        self.conv2_drop = nn.Dropout2d(p=0.5)
        self.fc1 = nn.Linear(800, 50)
        self.fc2 = nn.Linear(50, 10)

def forward(self, x):
        x = F.relu(F.max_pool2d(self.conv1(x), kernel_size=2, stride=2))
        x = F.relu(F.max_pool2d(self.conv2_drop(self.conv2(x)), 2))
        x = x.view(-1, 800)
        x = F.relu(self.fc1(x))
        x = F.dropout(x, training=self.training)
        x = F.relu(self.fc2(x))
        return F.log_softmax(x)

model = Net()
if torch.cuda.is_available():
    model.cuda()

optimizer = optim.SGD(model.parameters(), lr=0.1, momentum=0.9)

batch_size=64
model.train()
for step in range(1000):
    offset = (step * batch_size) % (train_labels.shape[0] - batch_size)
    data = train_data32[offset:(offset + batch_size), :, :, :]
    target = train_labels[offset:(offset + batch_size)]
    print('orig data type', data.dtype)
    print('orig data type', target.dtype)
    if torch.cuda.is_available():
        data, target = data.cuda(), target.cuda()
    data, target = Variable(torch.from_numpy(data)), Variable(torch.from_numpy(target))
    optimizer.zero_grad()
    print('input batch dim:', data.size(), 'type', )
    output = model(data)
    print('output batch dim:', output.size())
    print('target batch dim:', target.size())
    loss = F.nll_loss(output, target.long())
    loss.backward()
    optimizer.step()
    break
2 Likes

Hi,

I’ll try to address your questions in the following points.

• For training neural networks, using float is more than enough precision-wise, so no need for double.
  • For keeping track of indices, int32 might not be enough for large models, so int64 (long) is preferred. That’s probably one of the reasons why we use long whenever we pass indices to functions (including NLLLoss)
  • Note that you can also convert a numpy array to a tensor using torch.Tensor(numpy_array), and you can specify the type of the output tensor you want, in your case torch.LongTensor(numpy_array). This constructor does not share memory with the numpy array, so it’s slower and less memory efficient than the from_numpy equivalent.
  • You can get the type of the tensor by passing no arguments to the type function, so tensor.type() returns the type of the tensor, and you can do things like
tensor = torch.rand(3).double()
new_tensor = torch.rand(5).type(tensor.type())
2 Likes

it’s on our list of things to do to allow Int labels as well, but right now it is expected behavior to ask for LongTensors as labels.

We use Long labels because some of the use-cases we had in Torch had nClasses that didn’t fit the Int precision limits.
Since we use the same C backend in PyTorch, we went with long labels.

We DO not recommend double for performance, especially on the GPU. GPUs have bad double precision perf and are optimized for float32 performance.

(PS: Is there a tensor attribute to return the type, e.g., sth like NumPys my_array.dtype?)

You can simply get the class name:

x = torch.randn(10)
print(x.__class__)
1 Like

Thanks for the responses, again, that’s very helpful and useful to know.