PyTocrh way for one-hot-encoding multiclass target variable

Hey,

Sorry for maybe super basic question but could not find it.

What is a correct Pytorch way to encode multi-class target variable?

I have > 30 target classes for target variable - like AA, AB, BB, BA, BC ....

Should I use ScikitLearn tools and then convert numpy arrays into torch tensors?

Or there is built-in functionality?

Thanks!

4 Likes

You could use this code snippet to transform your class indices into a one-hot encoded target:

target = torch.randint(0, 10, (10,))
one_hot = torch.nn.functional.one_hot(target)
30 Likes

Thanks!
How do I map rows in one hot torch tensor to original labels and back?
Is it built-in functionality or should I care about this myself by creating custom dictionaries?
Trying not to invent a wheel )

1 Like

To get the target containing class indices back, you could use torch.argmax(one_hot, dim=1).

6 Likes

Apart from .scatter_, is there a better way to create a one-hot tensor in the (N,C,H,W) format without transposing?

Which dimension should be used for the one-hot encoding?
.scatter_ should not involve any transposing. Could you post a code snippet which would need it?

I’m sorry I didn’t elaborate on my question better.
To the best of my knowledge, there are two ways of creating one-hot encoded tensors in PyTorch:

1. .scatter_: with this I can create a one-hot encoded tensor from a given tensor (for me, usually a label map). But for this, I need to define a torch.FloatTensor, and use .scatter_ on it. A torch.FloatTensor needs all its dimensions preemptively defined and does not accept None values. This will usually be an issue when the final mini-batch in a training/validation session is smaller than the other mini-batches. I could alternatively define a new torch.FloatTensor of appropriate shape on each iteration, but I wish to skip this extra operation.
  2. torch.nn.functional.one_hot: with this I can directly yield a one-hot encoded tensor from a given tensor, but the output is in the channels-last format or (N,H,W,C). Hence, torch.transpose is required to convert it into PyTorch’s (N,C,H,W) format. I wish to skip this extra operation as well. (It would be awesome if we have the option in torch.nn.functional.one_hot, to specify which dimension will be the channel dimension.)

Is there a better way? I wish to improve the following rough implementation:

class MyLoss(torch.nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, batch_size, classes):
        super(MyLoss, self).__init__()
        # define some attributes
        self.y_true_one_hot = torch.FloatTensor(batch_size, classes, 240, 240)

def forward(self, y_pred, y_true):
        with torch.no_grad():
            self.y_true_one_hot.zero_().scatter_(1, y_true, 1)
        # do some operations
        return loss
2 Likes

Thanks for the update.
I would personally stick to the scatter_ approach and either check for a different batch size or just recreate the tensor e.g. via torch.zeros_like. F.one_hot would also recreate the tensor additionally to the permutation, so you wouldn’t avoid this operation.

Regarding the dim argument for one_hot: could you create a feature request on GitHub and explain your use case to start the discussion please?

2 Likes

Feature request has been created. Thank you for your time.

@ptrblck
i have got tensor of size bs,seq len, list of targets for each length

eg.` bs *1* list of target  [132,15,42,24]` 
       bs *2*  list of target [ 132,12,43,49],[1,3,2]

each element of seq length may have different length of target list. max value of target assume 100

how can i build Hot encode in the forward method of Model. and then multiply the absolute value of target to generated hot encode vector.

I don’t quite understand the use case. Could you provide pseudo-code for the method you would like to implement?

1. Hot encode tensor [1,10,11,12] assume batch size of 10
    2 multiply respective hot encode vector with absolute value like 1,10 11,12 . 00 1 10 11 12 000…

I m generating 128 dim size embeddings of each encode vector through linear layer with in feature as length of encode vector .

I dont get desired results if I directly pass hot encode of 0 1 to linear layer so want to try with absolute values

This helped me
y_pred.shape,label.shape
(torch.Size([5, 2]), torch.Size([5, 2]))
loss_fn(y_pred,torch.argmax(label, dim=1))
where as
loss_fn = torch.nn.CrossEntropyLoss()
The last layer is as follow

self.dropout = torch.nn.Dropout(0.1)
self.fc1 = torch.nn.Linear(768, 256)
self.fc2 = torch.nn.Linear(256, 2)