PyTorch Mobile: current status

I noticed that GitHub - pytorch/ios-demo-app: PyTorch iOS examples and GitHub - pytorch/android-demo-app: PyTorch android examples of usage in applications had been recently archived, but couldn’t find relevant discussions on GitHub and this forum. I wonder if pytorch mobile (Home | PyTorch) will continue its development, or should we use onnx/onnxruntime instead?

Best,
Ryuichi

3 Likes

@ptrblck could you shed some light on a recent development? The Pytorch Mobile iOS and Android Demo apps have been archived, with no communication at all about reasons. This move raises concerns about the future of TorchScript.

Hower, based on what I’ve read in another post here Consequences of PyTorch 2.0 on libtorch?:

[TorchScript] is not deprecated. We are not actively developing torchscript, but it will be supported for the foreseeable future, and you’ll be able to use torchscript based backends behind dynamo.

I’m not involved in PyTorch Mobile development and don’t know what their support and roadmap is.
Generally, I would be careful with TorchScript dependencies as it’s in “maintenance” mode and I would not expect to see major improvements or fixes anymore, as torch.compile is being prioritized.

Alright thank you for the insights.

Hi,
So PyTorch mobile, via lite interpreter that is based on torchscript, is also in maintenance mode. There is very limited work being done on it atm. We are actively working on our new stack for edge, called ExecuTorch, that was released in PyTorch conference 23. Typing from phone so cannot fine and paste links. But will update later.

2 Likes

This link is showing a demo of ExecuTorch in case you were looking for this one.