Pytorch profile error, output_json.cpp:468 failed to rename trace.json.tmp to trace.json

I have error when use profile on evaluate.py(1 node 8 gpus) https://github.com/microsoft/Megatron-DeepSpeed/blob/main/tasks/eval_harness/evaluate.py .

from torch.profiler import profile, record_function, ProfilerActivity
def main():
    start = time.time()
    model = load_ds_checkpoint_and_setup_megatron(extra_args_provider=tasks_args)

args = get_args()
    if args.deepspeed and args.adaptive_seq_len:
        # adaptive_seq_len hack #1:
        # CL automatically enables reset_activation_shape() which allows us to change input shapes
        # and it also reshapes the attenion scores in attention_mask_func
        args.curriculum_learning_legacy = 1

task_list = ALL_TASKS if args.task_list == 'all' else args.task_list.split(',')
    task_dict = tasks.get_task_dict(task_list)

model.module.activation_checkpoint_interval = 0
    model._compute_loss = False
    model.fwd_outputs = []

tokenizer = get_tokenizer()
    adaptor = EvalHarnessAdaptor(model, tokenizer)
    with profile(activities=[
        ProfilerActivity.CPU, ProfilerActivity.CUDA], record_shapes=True) as prof:
        results = evaluator.evaluate(adaptor, task_dict, False, args.num_fewshot, None)
    prof.export_chrome_trace("trace.json")
    if mpu.is_pipeline_last_stage() and mpu.get_tensor_model_parallel_rank() == 0:
        print(json.dumps(results, indent=2))
        with open(args.results_path, 'w') as outfile:
            json.dump(results, outfile, indent = 4)
    end = time.time()
    print("evaluation of {} ends in {:.2f} sec, or {:.2f} min, or {:.2f} hr".format(args.task_list, end-start, (end-start)/60.0, (end-start)/3600.0))

But i get a error.

output_json.cpp:468 failed to rename trace.json.tmp to trace.json

How should I use profile tools to fix this.

Are you running the code on all ranks? If so I would assume a rank has already created the file and another one fails in overwriting it.

Thanks. the code is running on all ranks. I wonder how should I use profile on each rank

Use the rank in the file name so that you won’t overwrite the same file.