Pytorch Profiler not profiling GPU on Windows

Hello everyone,

I’m new here, hopefully I write this in the correct way.

I’ve recently gotten to use PyTorch’s profiler but I can’t seem to see any activity on my GPU as far as the profiler is concerned. Currently I’m running the example as seen on this guide. The code runs no problem and compiles. I can see activity on my GPU and the CUDA graph in task manager (showing specifically the CUDA graph, I did my homework) is showing activity when I run the code so it clearly is not PyTorch nor CUDA my problem.

Here is the code I use to create the model and start the profiler:

def main():
    transform = T.Compose(
        [T.Resize(224),
         T.ToTensor(),
         T.Normalize((0.5, 0.5, 0.5), (0.5, 0.5, 0.5))])
    train_set = torchvision.datasets.CIFAR10(root='./data', train=True, download=True, transform=transform)
    train_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(train_set, batch_size=32, shuffle=True, num_workers=4)

device = torch.device("cuda:0")
    model = torchvision.models.resnet18(pretrained=True).to(device)
    criterion = torch.nn.CrossEntropyLoss().to(device)
    optimizer = torch.optim.SGD(model.parameters(), lr=0.001, momentum=0.9)
    model.train()

def train(data):
        inputs, labels = data[0].to(device), data[1].to(device)
        outputs = model(inputs)
        loss = criterion(outputs, labels)
        optimizer.zero_grad()
        loss.backward()
        optimizer.step()

with torch.profiler.profile(
            schedule=torch.profiler.schedule(wait=1, warmup=1, active=3),
            on_trace_ready=torch.profiler.tensorboard_trace_handler('./log/resnet18'),
            record_shapes=True,
            profile_memory=True,
            with_stack=True
    ) as prof:
        for step, batch_data in enumerate(train_loader):
            if step >= 200:  # tried increasing this because maybe it wasn't running long enough?
                break
            train(batch_data)
            prof.step()  # Need to call this at the end of each step to notify profiler of steps' boundary.

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

And yet when I open TensorBoard at the appropriate location I see only this:

And the GPU Kernel element is completely missing from the side bar as well.

I don’t understand what I am doing wrong in this case. Is this just a Windows problem or am I using the profiler incorrectly?

Thank you for your help!
ChowderII

3 Likes

Hi Chowderll, have you found the solution? I’m using Windows too and that’s the same problem with me. Just CPU and other, no GPU.

Same problem here. Am also on Windows and can’t see the GPU summary.

Hello

I am using WIN10, and I can’t see any GPU Kernel option on tensorboard View list.

Hi, I am experiencing the very same problem on Windows 10 and my model is definitely running on the GPU.

Any clue?

I have the same problem, is anyone care and solve this?

Same issue here. Any idea on this @ptrblck? Your profile seems to pop up in all the relevant forms I’ve seen throughout the years so here’s to hoping you know what’s going on.

Sorry, but I’m neither familiar with Windows nor with the native PyTorch profiler and am using Nsight Systems to profile models.
You could try to use it too: Getting Started with Nsight Systems | NVIDIA Developer

1 Like

I’ll check it out, thank you!

Have anyone solved this problem or work out some clues? I have encountered the same issue.