Quantized model inference error related to Mish activation function

I’m tinkering with post-training static quantization in PyTorch by trying out different activation functions on the same model, then I try to quantize it and run inference ( I want to see what are the activations that are supported). For example, I replaced ReLU with leakyReLU on ResNet50 then applied quantization. The inference ran just fine ( it was a bit slower with a 3% accuracy drop but this does not matter as I’m only experimenting). After that, I tried the Mish activation function, the conversion was successful, however, I got the following error during inference:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
RuntimeError                              Traceback (most recent call last)
 in 
      7 helper.print_size_of_model(resnet)
----> 9 top1, top5, time_elapsed= helper.evaluate(resnet, criterion, testloader, neval_batches=num_eval_batches)
     10 print('Evaluation accuracy on %d images, top5: %2.2f, top1: %2.2f'%(num_eval_batches * eval_batch_size, top5.avg,top1.avg))
     11 print('time slapsed: %s' % str(datetime.timedelta(seconds=time_elapsed)))

d:\github\PyTorch_CIFAR10\helper.py in evaluate(model, criterion, data_loader, neval_batches, device)
     30         for image, target in data_loader:
     31             image.to(device)
---> 32             output = model(image)
     33             loss = criterion(output, target)
     34             cnt += 1

~\anaconda3\envs\PFE_env\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\modules\module.py in __call__(self, *input, **kwargs)
    548             result = self._slow_forward(*input, **kwargs)
    549         else:
--> 550             result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
    551         for hook in self._forward_hooks.values():
    552             hook_result = hook(self, input, result)

d:\github\PyTorch_CIFAR10\cifar10_models\resnetQ.py in forward(self, x)
    227         x = self.conv1(x)
    228         x = self.bn1(x)
--> 229         x = self.relu(x)
    230         x = self.maxpool(x)
    231         x = self.layer1(x)

~\anaconda3\envs\PFE_env\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\modules\module.py in __call__(self, *input, **kwargs)
    548             result = self._slow_forward(*input, **kwargs)
    549         else:
--> 550             result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
    551         for hook in self._forward_hooks.values():
    552             hook_result = hook(self, input, result)

d:\github\PyTorch_CIFAR10\cifar10_models\resnetQ.py in forward(self, x)
     25     def forward(self, x):
---> 26         x = x * (torch.tanh(torch.nn.functional.softplus(x)))
     27         return x

RuntimeError: Could not run 'aten::empty.memory_format' with arguments from the 'QuantizedCPUTensorId' backend. 'aten::empty.memory_format' is only available for these backends: [CPUTensorId, CUDATensorId, MkldnnCPUTensorId, SparseCPUTensorId, SparseCUDATensorId, BackendSelect, VariableTensorId].

the mish layer is defined by:

class Mish(torch.nn.Module):
    def __init__(self):
        super().__init__()

def forward(self, x):
        x = x * (torch.tanh(torch.nn.functional.softplus(x)))
        return x

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated because ultimately, I want to apply quantization on YOLOv4 which relies on Mish as an activation function.

Softplus currently does not have a quantized implementation. This error also usually means that a quantized tensor is being passed to a non-quantized function.

For a quick fix, you could add a torch.quantization.DeQuantStub() and torch.quantization.QuantStub() around the areas of the network which cannot be quantized such as Softplus.

The longer term fix would be to add quantization support for Softplus to PyTorch.

The quick fix seems reasonable enough. Hopefully it won’t have a significant impact on inference time. I guess I’ll just have to try it out and see. Thank you for your help.

1 Like