Random Subset from DataLoader, Unique Random Numbers

I want to generate a random subset from DataLoader.

I have the following implementation:

train_indices = torch.LongTensor(args.train_set_size).random_(0, totalNumInTrainSet)
train_loader = torch.utils.data.DataLoader(
            datasets.MNIST('../data', train=True, download=True,
                           transform=transforms.Compose([
                               transforms.ToTensor(),
                               transforms.Normalize((0.1307,), (0.3081,),
                                                    )
                           ])),
            batch_size=args.batch_size, sampler=SubsetRandomSampler(train_indices), ** kwargs)

This works, however generating the train indices results in duplicates, I want all random numbers generated to be unique. How would I do this efficiently ?

How about just pass shuffle to the dataloader.

If you are playing with Samplers, you also could pass RandomSampler with replacement=False to the dataloader, it is the same to the shuffle method.

If I use the RandomSampler with replacement=False, I can’t specify the number of elements.
With replacement=False, num_samples should not be specified, since a random permute will be performed.

Will the RandomSampler with replacement=True and num_samples=n, always return a sample with n unique elements?

1 Like

Because replacement=True, so it will return the same sample probably.

With replacement=False, RandomSampler will go through the whole dataset.

If you want to specify the number of samples. You could have a try on SubsetRandomSampler.

Yep, that is what I have done above. I used SubsetRandomSampler and generated random indexes to match the size I wanted. I wanted to know if there was an efficient way to generate unique random indexes to pass to SubsetRandomSampler .

You could try this

import numpy as np
train_indices = torch.from_numpy(np.random.choice(totalNumInTrainSet, size=(args.train_set_size,), replace=False)) 
2 Likes

Sorry for forgetting that.

I think you could have a try on torch.randperm() with fixed torch.manual_seed() and torch.multinomial() with sampling probability.

torch.manual_seed(1)
random_indices = torch.randperm(num_samples)
# it will return random permutation from 0 to num_samples-1
1 Like

I will use numpy until this or equivalent is merged in -> https://github.com/pytorch/pytorch/pull/18624 .