RuntimeError: DataLoader worker (pid 26317) is killed by signal: Aborted

Hi, I encountered into the following problem when I was trying to read a batch of relatively large data sample with multi-threaded DataLoader (with num_workers=4 for example).
I have tried increasing the shared memory of ubuntu but did not work.
It will run without the num_workers argument, but it is too slow to learn from a large data set with single thread.

Is there anyone knowing what’s going wrong? Thank you in advance.

Exception Details:

~/.pyenv/versions/3.6.4/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py in __next__(self)
    273         while True:
    274             assert (not self.shutdown and self.batches_outstanding > 0)
--> 275             idx, batch = self._get_batch()
    276             self.batches_outstanding -= 1
    277             if idx != self.rcvd_idx:

~/.pyenv/versions/3.6.4/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py in _get_batch(self)
    252                 raise RuntimeError('DataLoader timed out after {} seconds'.format(self.timeout))
    253         else:
--> 254             return self.data_queue.get()
    256     def __next__(self):

~/.pyenv/versions/3.6.4/lib/python3.6/queue.py in get(self, block, timeout)
    162             elif timeout is None:
    163                 while not self._qsize():
--> 164                     self.not_empty.wait()
    165             elif timeout < 0:
    166                 raise ValueError("'timeout' must be a non-negative number")

~/.pyenv/versions/3.6.4/lib/python3.6/threading.py in wait(self, timeout)
    293         try:    # restore state no matter what (e.g., KeyboardInterrupt)
    294             if timeout is None:
--> 295                 waiter.acquire()
    296                 gotit = True
    297             else:

~/.pyenv/versions/3.6.4/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py in handler(signum, frame)
    173         # This following call uses `waitid` with WNOHANG from C side. Therefore,
    174         # Python can still get and update the process status successfully.
--> 175         _error_if_any_worker_fails()
    176         if previous_handler is not None:
    177             previous_handler(signum, frame)

RuntimeError: DataLoader worker (pid 26317) is killed by signal: Aborted.
1 Like

Hi, did you find any solution for this problem?

I met this bug too. Did you solve this problem?

In my case, I find that it caused by out of memory of machine(note that , not GPU memory). To test that when run your code, you can use command top to see the whether the memory and swap memory are used up. If so , it is the memory problem. You can use a small batch, use a small num_workers, expand your swap memory,etc. Any way could decrease your memory load would be helpful.

5 Likes

Hi @guyue_hu do you know the code to use a small num_workers and to expand wap memory ?