RuntimeError: mat1 dim 1 must match mat2 dim 0 for Sequential of DINO model

I’m getting the runtime error when trying to Sequentialise my linear layer with a DINO backbone from torch.hub.

import torch
import torch.distributed as dist

class LinearClassifier(torch.nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, dim, num_labels=1000):
        super(LinearClassifier, self).__init__()
        self.num_labels = num_labels
        self.linear = torch.nn.Linear(dim, num_labels)
        self.linear.weight.data.normal_(mean=0.0, std=0.01)
        self.linear.bias.data.zero_()

def forward(self, x):
        # flatten
        x = x.view(x.size(0), -1)

# linear layer
        return self.linear(x)

dist.init_process_group('gloo', init_method='file:///tmp/somefile', rank=0, world_size=1)
# load backbone
model = torch.hub.load('facebookresearch/dino:main', 'dino_vits8')

#Setup linear layer
linear_classifier = LinearClassifier(1536, 1000)
linear_classifier = linear_classifier.cuda()
linear_classifier = torch.nn.parallel.DistributedDataParallel(linear_classifier)
state_dict = torch.hub.load_state_dict_from_url(url="https://dl.fbaipublicfiles.com/dino/dino_deitsmall8_pretrain/dino_deitsmall8_linearweights.pth")['state_dict']
linear_classifier.load_state_dict(state_dict, strict=True)

#Sequentialise
model = torch.nn.Sequential(model,
                            linear_classifier)

x = torch.ones((1, 3, 224, 224))
out = model(x)
print("out: " + out)

This is what the print of the final layers looks like:

@Tizian_Th
The output of the Dino model is a [1,384] tensor, so if you want to connect two sequential layers, the output of the previous should have the same dimension as the input of the next. If you substitute

linear_classifier = LinearClassifier(384, 1000)

It should work

I tried that first but then I got the error:
RuntimeError: Error(s) in loading state_dict for DistributedDataParallel: size mismatch for module.linear.weight: copying a param with shape torch.Size([1000, 1536]) from checkpoint, the shape in current model is torch.Size([1000, 384]).

ok, clear.
The pre-trained layer you are using has dimensions [1000, 1536], the ideas that come to mind are 3:

1. if you really need that pre-trained layer you could add an intermediate layer in the sequential in order to re-expand the output as:
model = torch.nn.Sequential(model,torch.nn.Linear(384,1536),
                            linear_classifier)

although, in this case you would still have to re-train the network a bit to tune the parameters of the new layer.

1. As in my previous answer, you can remove these two lines
state_dict = torch.hub.load_state_dict_from_url(url="https://dl.fbaipublicfiles.com/dino/dino_deitsmall8_pretrain/dino_deitsmall8_linearweights.pth")['state_dict']
linear_classifier.load_state_dict(state_dict, strict=True)

and just use a new layer which you have to train

linear_classifier = LinearClassifier(384, 1000)
  1. You can create a new dictionary with just part of the weights that you have:
new_state_dict = {}
new_state_dict["module.linear.bias"] = state_dict["module.linear.bias"][0:384]
new_state_dict["module.linear.weight"] = state_dict["module.linear.weight"][0:384]

where you can take any set of 384 values (e.g. 1:385, 2:386 etc.). Anyway I don’t see the point in doing this, since you should probably fine-tune these weights again

Thanks for your answer this helps a lot. I am trying to recreate Facebooks results as closely as possible as I am benchmarking DINO as a part of my Bachelor Thesis. Facebook seems to reshape their output like this:

What way would you recommend to replicate the original model as close as possible?