RuntimeError: set_sizes_and_strides is not allowed on a Tensor created from .data or .detach(). when using Gradient checkpointing

Hello,

I’m using a pre-trained VGG to extract features at certain layer to avoid the dreaded OOM. The forward pass seems to be fine but during the backward pass, I got the error:

RuntimeError: set_sizes_and_strides is not allowed on a Tensor created from .data or .detach().
If your intent is to change the metadata of a Tensor (such as sizes / strides / storage / storage_offset)
without autograd tracking the change, remove the .data / .detach() call and wrap the change in a `with torch.no_grad():` block.
For example, change:
    x.data.set_(y)
to:
    with torch.no_grad():
        x.set_(y)

When I test the same code using on my local machine with a cpu, this error does not happen. I’m not sure how to tackle this. Any thought is much appreciated :slight_smile:

Full stack here:

loss.backward()
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/_tensor.py", line 264, in backward
    torch.autograd.backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph, inputs=inputs)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/autograd/__init__.py", line 153, in backward
    Variable._execution_engine.run_backward(
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/autograd/function.py", line 87, in apply
    return self._forward_cls.backward(self, *args)  # type: ignore[attr-defined]
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/checkpoint.py", line 122, in backward
    outputs = ctx.run_function(*detached_inputs)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1056, in _call_impl
    return forward_call(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/container.py", line 139, in forward
    input = module(input)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1056, in _call_impl
    return forward_call(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/conv.py", line 446, in forward
    return self._conv_forward(input, self.weight, self.bias)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/conv.py", line 442, in _conv_forward
    return F.conv2d(input, weight, bias, self.stride,
RuntimeError: set_sizes_and_strides is not allowed on a Tensor created from .data or .detach().
If your intent is to change the metadata of a Tensor (such as sizes / strides / storage / storage_offset)
without autograd tracking the change, remove the .data / .detach() call and wrap the change in a `with torch.no_grad():` block.
For example, change:
    x.data.set_(y)
to:
    with torch.no_grad():
        x.set_(y)

Could you post a minimal executable code snippet so that we can check where this issue is triggered, please?