RuntimeError: The size of tensor a (256) must match the size of tensor b (32) at non-singleton dimension 3

I just trained a model and now performing iteration on custom images with different sizes and types (.tif,bmp,and .PNG).

I just load a model and want to generate three images, compressed, original and final images. The below code works fine when i put into training file because where i i gave CIFAR dataset for testing. Now i am giving custom images and make separate file for testing.

import torch
from model import End_to_end
from torch.autograd import Variable
from loss import loss_function
from grid import save_image
from torchvision import datasets, transforms

CUDA = torch.cuda.is_available()
if CUDA:
    model = End_to_end().cuda()
else:
    model = End_to_end()

EPOCHS = 20

testset = datasets.ImageFolder(root="/home/khawar/Desktop/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/test/", transform=transforms.ToTensor())
model.load_state_dict(torch.load('./checkpoint/model.pth'))
print(testset.imgs)

def test(epoch):
    model.eval()
    test_loss = 0
    for i, (data, _) in enumerate(testset):
        data = Variable(data)
        final, residual_img, upscaled_image, com_img, orig_im = model(data.cuda())
        test_loss += loss_function(final, residual_img, upscaled_image, com_img, orig_im).data
        if epoch == EPOCHS and i == 0:
            #             save_image(final.data[0],'reconstruction_final',nrow=8)
            #             save_image(com_img.data[0],'com_img',nrow=8)
            n = min(data.size(0), 6)
            print("saving the image " + str(n))
            comparison = torch.cat([data[:n], final[:n].cpu()])
            comparison = comparison.cpu()
            #             print(comparison.data)
            save_image(com_img[:n].data, 'compressed_' + str(epoch) + '.png', nrow=n)
            save_image(comparison.data, 'reconstruction_' + str(epoch) + '.png', nrow=n)

test_loss /= len(testset.dataset)
    print('====> Test set loss: {:.4f}'.format(test_loss))

def save_images():
    epoch = EPOCHS
    model.eval()
    test_loss = 0
    for i, (data, _) in enumerate(testset):
        data = Variable(data).unsqueeze(0)
        test_loss += loss_function(final, residual_img, upscaled_image, com_img, orig_im).data
        if i == 3:
            n = min(data.size(0), 6)
            save_image(com_img[:1].data, './compressed_image/compressed_' + str(i) + '.png', nrow=n)
            save_image(final[:1].data, './final_image/final_' + str(epoch) + '.png', nrow=n)
            save_image(orig_im[:1].data, './orginal_image/original_' + str(epoch) + '.png', nrow=n)

test_loss /= len(testset.dataset)

save_images()
Error
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/khawar/Desktop/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/test.py", line 74, in <module>
    save_images()
  File "/home/khawar/Desktop/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/test.py", line 51, in save_images
    for i, (data, _) in enumerate(test_loader):
  File "/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 345, in __next__
    data = self._next_data()
  File "/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py", line 385, in _next_data
    data = self._dataset_fetcher.fetch(index)  # may raise StopIteration
  File "/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/fetch.py", line 47, in fetch
    return self.collate_fn(data)
  File "/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/collate.py", line 79, in default_collate
    return [default_collate(samples) for samples in transposed]
  File "/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/collate.py", line 79, in <listcomp>
    return [default_collate(samples) for samples in transposed]
  File "/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/collate.py", line 55, in default_collate
    return torch.stack(batch, 0, out=out)
RuntimeError: stack expects each tensor to be equal size, but got [3, 288, 352] at entry 0 and [3, 256, 256] at entry 1

Hi,

Your custom dataset does not have images with same shape. You can add a Resize as a transform in your dataloader so all images can be stacked to each other when dataloader tries to create a batch.

You can use following transform instead:

tfs = transforms.Compose([
            transforms.Resize(img_size),
            transforms.ToTensor(),
            # normalize,
        ])

Bests

File β€œ/home/khawar/Desktop/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/test.py”, line 24, in
print(test_loader.dataset)
File β€œ/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torchvision/datasets/vision.py”, line 41, in repr
body += [repr(self.transforms)]
File β€œ/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torchvision/datasets/vision.py”, line 75, in repr
"Transform: ")
File β€œ/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torchvision/datasets/vision.py”, line 67, in _format_transform_repr
lines = transform.repr().splitlines()
File β€œ/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torchvision/transforms/transforms.py”, line 68, in repr
format_string += ’ {0}’.format(t)
File β€œ/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torchvision/transforms/transforms.py”, line 201, in repr
interpolate_str = _pil_interpolation_to_str[self.interpolation]
KeyError: 256

It seems you are passing two arguments to Resize, where the second one will be interpreted as the interpolation method.
If you want to pass the size specifying the height and width, pass it as a tuple:

Resize((256, 256))
  File "/home/khawar/Desktop/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/test.py", line 78, in <module>
    save_images()
  File "/home/khawar/Desktop/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/test.py", line 60, in save_images
  File "/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 550, in __call__
    result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/home/khawar/Desktop/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/model.py", line 64, in forward
    com_img = self.encode(x)
  File "/home/khawar/Desktop/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/model.py", line 43, in encode
    out = self.relu(self.conv1(x))
  File "/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 550, in __call__
  File "/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/conv.py", line 353, in forward
    return self._conv_forward(input, self.weight)
  File "/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/conv.py", line 350, in _conv_forward
    self.padding, self.dilation, self.groups)
RuntimeError: Expected 4-dimensional input for 4-dimensional weight [64, 3, 3, 3], but got 5-dimensional input of size [1, 8, 3, 256, 256] instead

Complete code. I tried a lot and changes a lot but dimension error remain same

import torch
from torch.utils.data import DataLoader

if CUDA:
else:
    model = End_to_end()

EPOCHS = 5

transforms.Resize((256, 256)),
    transforms.ToTensor(),
])
testset = datasets.ImageFolder(root="/home/khawar/Desktop/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/test/", transform=tfs)
test_loader = DataLoader(testset, batch_size=8, shuffle=True)
print(test_loader.dataset)
print(testset.imgs)

def test(epoch):
    model.eval()
    test_loss = 0
    for i, (data, _) in enumerate(test_loader.dataset.imgs):
            n = min(data.size(0), 6)

test_loss /= len(testset.test_loader)

def save_images():
    epoch = EPOCHS
    model.eval()
    test_loss = 0
        print(data)
        print(data.shape)
        print(data.size())
        if i == 3:
            n = min(data.size(0), 6)
            save_image(com_img[:1].data, './compressed_image/compressed_' + str(i) + '.png', nrow=n)
            save_image(final[:1].data, './final_image/final_' + str(epoch) + '.png', nrow=n)
            save_image(orig_im[:1].data, './orginal_image/original_' + str(epoch) + '.png', nrow=n)

test_loss /= len(test_loader.dataset)

save_images()

This line of code might yield this error:

1. Variables are deprecated since PyTorch 0.4 so use tensors directly now.
  2. Most likely you don’t need to unsqueeze the data tensor, as the DataLoader would return the batch in the shape [batch_size, channels, height, width]. However, it seems you are somehow avoiding the DataLoader and try to get some images directly via test_loader.dataset.imgs?

I just comment out this line # data = Variable(data) #unsqueeze(0)
Second i corrected a code by giving correct test_loader. I replaced test_loader.dataset.imgs with test_loader.

Updated Code

import torch
from torch.utils.data import DataLoader

if CUDA:
else:
    model = End_to_end()

EPOCHS = 5

transforms.Resize((256, 256)),
    transforms.ToTensor(),
])
testset = datasets.ImageFolder(root="/home/khawar/Desktop/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/test/", transform=tfs)
test_loader = DataLoader(testset, batch_size=8, shuffle=True)

def test(epoch):
    model.eval()
    test_loss = 0
        # data = Variable(data)    #unsqueeze(0)
            n = min(data.size(0), 6)

test_loss /= len(testset.test_loader)

def save_images():
    epoch = EPOCHS
    model.eval()
    test_loss = 0
        # print(data)
        # data = Variable(data) #unsqueeze(0)
        print(data.shape)
        print(data.size())
        if i == 3:
            n = min(data.size(0), 6)

test_loss /= len(test_loader.dataset)

save_images()

Error.

/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/bin/python /home/khawar/Desktop/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/test.py
torch.Size([8, 3, 256, 256])
torch.Size([8, 3, 256, 256])
/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torch/nn/_reduction.py:43: UserWarning: size_average and reduce args will be deprecated, please use reduction='sum' instead.
  warnings.warn(warning.format(ret))
/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/loss.py:432: UserWarning: Using a target size (torch.Size([8, 3, 32, 32])) that is different to the input size (torch.Size([8, 3, 256, 256])). This will likely lead to incorrect results due to broadcasting. Please ensure they have the same size.
  return F.mse_loss(input, target, reduction=self.reduction)
  File "/home/khawar/Desktop/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/test.py", line 77, in <module>
    save_images()
  File "/home/khawar/Desktop/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/test.py", line 60, in save_images
  File "/home/khawar/Desktop/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/loss.py", line 7, in loss_function
    com_loss = nn.MSELoss(size_average=False)(orig_img, final_img)
  File "/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/loss.py", line 432, in forward
    return F.mse_loss(input, target, reduction=self.reduction)
  File "/home/khawar/anaconda3/envs/End-to-End_IEEE-TVSCT/lib/python3.5/site-packages/torch/nn/functional.py", line 2538, in mse_loss
    ret = (input - target) ** 2
RuntimeError: The size of tensor a (256) must match the size of tensor b (32) at non-singleton dimension 3

Process finished with exit code 1

Error solved but i didnt find any compressed and reconstruct image.

I am facing the same problem right now, how did you fix it ?

The size of input image and validation image should be the same. You can do using Data agumentation

1 Like

Thank you, Yes I found that and it worked perfectly.