Simulated Annealing Custom Optimizer

I’m trying to implement simulated annealing as a custom PyTorch optimizer to be used in a neural network training loop instead of a traditional gradient-based method. The code I currently have runs, but the loss just keeps growing rather than decreasing. I’ve tested on this dataset using a traditional gradient-based method and do achieve improving performance, rather than decreasing like it does here.

I think the issue may be with how I am updating the model parameters on each iteration. For simulated annealing I need to check the loss value for new randomly chosen parameters within some neighborhood of the current parameters. If the loss is lower, I update the model to the new parameters. If the loss is higher, with some probability I will still update the parameters (according to the simulated annealing algorithm).

Is the way I have done this correct? Basically I am updating the parameters with the new (random) ones, testing the loss, and if the loss is higher with the new points I put back the old parameters with some probability (using load_state_dict). If the loss is lower, I keep the new parameters. Any ideas why this is not working?

Below is the class I wrote for simulated annealing.

Here is a link to all the code in the notebook (full data pipeline) where I use this simulated annealing algorithm, in case that helps.

import torch
from torch.optim import Optimizer
import torch.nn as nn
import numpy as np
import math

class SimulatedAnnealing(Optimizer):
    def __init__(self, params, startTemp = 1000
                 , coolRate = 0.001, neighborhoodSize = 0.05
                 , loss = nn.CrossEntropyLoss()
                 , model = None
                 , features = None
                 , labels = None): #these represent default values, but can be overridden
        self.startTemp = startTemp
        self.coolRate = coolRate
        self.currTemp = startTemp
        self.loss = loss
        self.model = model
        self.features = features
        self.labels = labels
        self.neighborhoodSize = neighborhoodSize

def step(self):
        #need to first generate a random new point in the space
        if torch.cuda.is_available():
            oldOutputs = self.model(self.features.cuda())
            oldPerformance = self.loss(oldOutputs, self.labels.type(torch.LongTensor).cuda())
        else:
            oldOutputs = self.model(self.features)
            oldPerformance = self.loss(oldOutputs, self.labels.type(torch.LongTensor))
        oldDict = self.model.state_dict()

for name, param in self.model.state_dict().items():
            #generate a matrix of random changes in each param element to be added to each param matrix
            if (len(param.shape) == 2):
                random = torch.Tensor(np.random.uniform(low = self.neighborhoodSize * -1, high = self.neighborhoodSize
                                                        , size = (param.shape[0], param.shape[1])))
            else:
                random = torch.Tensor(np.random.uniform(low = self.neighborhoodSize * -1, high = self.neighborhoodSize
                                                        , size = param.shape[0]))
            #now add random to the params to transform them
            new_param = param + random.cuda()
            self.model.state_dict()[name].copy_(new_param)

newOutputs = self.model(self.features.cuda())
            newWeights = self.model.state_dict().items()
            newPerformance = self.loss(newOutputs, self.labels.type(torch.LongTensor).cuda())
        else:
            newOutputs = self.model(self.features)
            newPerformance = self.loss(newOutputs, self.labels.type(torch.LongTensor))

if (newPerformance < oldPerformance):
            jumpProb = math.exp((newPerformance - oldPerformance) / self.currTemp) #computes the probability of accepting a worse point
            if (np.random.uniform(0, 1) <= jumpProb): #determines whether we jump to worse point or stay with prior point
                self.currTemp -= self.coolRate
            else:
                self.model.load_state_dict(oldDict) #put the old weights back in case where we don't jump'
        else:

Could you lower the probabilities so that the next parameter update will only take place if the loss is lower and would be discarded if the loss increases?
If the loss still increases, there seem to be a bug in your code somewhere.

I modified the algorithm to only update the model weights if the loss is lower, but the loss still grows as training progresses (as measured in the overall data/model pipeline). Is the strategy I used to update the model weights correct? (modify the state dict and then reload it if the loss is worse). I have only used built-in optimizers before this, so I haven’t ever modified the state dict of a model directly like this before. I am also modifying the model state dict as part of the RandomHillClimb class, which I import as a module and call from the main code. Could something be going wrong with that? New code:

import torch
import torch.nn as nn
import numpy as np
import math

class RandomHillClimb(Optimizer):
    def __init__(self, params, neighborhoodSize = 0.02
                 , model = None
                 , features = None
        self.loss = loss
        self.model = model
        self.features = features
        self.labels = labels

def step(self):
            oldPerformance = self.loss(oldOutputs, self.labels.type(torch.LongTensor).cuda())
        else:
        oldDict = self.model.state_dict()

#generate a matrix of random changes in each param element to be added to each param matrix
            else:

newPerformance = self.loss(newOutputs, self.labels.type(torch.LongTensor).cuda())
        else:

#print("old performance" + str(oldPerformance))
        #print("new performance" + str(newPerformance))

self.model.load_state_dict(oldDict) #put the old weights back in case where we don't jump'

I think your old_dict will just hold a reference to the state_dict and will thus be changed, too.
Could you add this code snippet to clone the old state_dict and try it again:

# Save init values
old_state_dict = {}
for key in model.state_dict():
    old_state_dict[key] = self.model.state_dict()[key].clone()
1 Like

Thanks, just tried that out. Unfortunately the loss still increases with each iteration (though strangely accuracy stays at exactly the same number):

New code after incorporating your snippet:

import torch
import torch.nn as nn
import numpy as np
import math

class RandomHillClimb(Optimizer):
    def __init__(self, params, neighborhoodSize = 0.02
                 , model = None
                 , features = None
        self.loss = loss
        self.model = model
        self.features = features
        self.labels = labels

def step(self):
        else:
        # Save init values
        old_state_dict = {}
        for key in self.model.state_dict():
            old_state_dict[key] = self.model.state_dict()[key].clone()

else:

else:

self.model.load_state_dict(old_state_dict) #put the old weights back in case where we don't jump'

Are you sure you are comparing the right thing?
If the new performance is worse (less then) the old one, then you should reset your model.
Currently newPerformance is defines as the loss. Shouldn’t you change the comparison then to newLoss > oldLoss?

1 Like

My mistake, I just changed that and it worked. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

1 Like

Awesome to hear! Let us know how your experiments worked out! :wink:

Overall Simulated Annealing worked well enough to get 72% test set accuracy on my dataset, which was about the same as SGD. But with Adam I got to over 90% on that dataset. When I get some free time I can post a short write up with code and show training curves for different hyperparameters on Simulated Annealing

1 Like