Static quantization for Transformer block : AttributeError 'function' object has no attribute 'is_cuda'

I’m trying to apply static quantization to a model using a nn.TransformerEncoderLayer.

But when running the model, I get the following error :

File "/envs/transfo/lib/python3.10/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/transformer.py", line 556, in <genexpr>
    elif not all((x.is_cuda or 'cpu' in str(x.device)) for x in tensor_args):

AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute 'is_cuda'

The model is very basic : embeddings followed by a TransformerEncoderLayer, followed by a linear layer. But I can’t make it work…

Here is a Colab notebook reproducing the issue : Google Colab

Here is the script reproducing the issue :

import torch
from torch import nn
from torch.ao.quantization import qconfig

class Quantformer(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, vocab_size, embedding_dim, hidden_dim, dropout_rate, max_seq_len):
        super().__init__()
        self.hidden_dim = hidden_dim
        self.embedding_dim = embedding_dim

self.quant = torch.ao.quantization.QuantStub()
        self.embedding = nn.Embedding(vocab_size, embedding_dim)
        self.pos_embedding = nn.Embedding(max_seq_len, embedding_dim)
        self.transformer = nn.TransformerEncoderLayer(
            d_model=embedding_dim,
            nhead=8,
            dim_feedforward=hidden_dim,
            dropout=dropout_rate,
            batch_first=True,
        )
        self.dropout = nn.Dropout(dropout_rate)
        self.fc = nn.Linear(embedding_dim, vocab_size)
        self.dequant = torch.ao.quantization.DeQuantStub()

def forward(self, src):
        seq_len = src.size(1)
        batch_size = src.size(0)
        pos_ids = torch.arange(seq_len, dtype=src.dtype, device=src.device).unsqueeze(0).repeat(batch_size, 1)

embeds = self.dropout(self.embedding(src)) + self.pos_embedding(pos_ids)
        embeds = self.quant(embeds)
        mask = nn.Transformer.generate_square_subsequent_mask(embeds.size(1), device=embeds.device)
        out = self.transformer(embeds, src_mask=mask)
        lm_logits = self.dropout(self.fc(out))

lm_logits = self.dequant(lm_logits)
        return lm_logits

device = torch.device("cpu")
sq_model = Quantformer(
    vocab_size=10000,
    embedding_dim=128,
    hidden_dim=512,
    dropout_rate=0,
    max_seq_len=10,
).to(device)
sq_model.eval()

sq_model.qconfig = torch.ao.quantization.get_default_qconfig("qnnpack")
sq_model.embedding.qconfig = qconfig.float_qparams_weight_only_qconfig
sq_model.pos_embedding.qconfig = qconfig.float_qparams_weight_only_qconfig

sq_model_prepared = torch.ao.quantization.prepare(sq_model)

x = torch.randint(3, 10000, (1, 10))

sq_model_prepared(x)

squant_model = torch.ao.quantization.convert(sq_model_prepared)

yy = squant_model(x)

does it work without quantization? this doesn’t look like a quantization issue

@jerryzh168 Definitely a problem with quantization, it works without the quantization.

I added a code block in the google colab notebook to run without the quantization, so you can try running and see it works.

The problem is here : https://github.com/pytorch/pytorch/blob/main/torch/nn/modules/transformer.py#L648-L662

When running in normal mode, all of these attributes are tensors. But when running in quantization mode, some of them are getter methods (see here for example : https://github.com/pytorch/pytorch/blob/main/torch/ao/nn/quantized/modules/linear.py#L234)

oh I see, yeah this is expected I think, eager mode quantization does not expect people call into linear_module.weight directly, it only works when people just use the forward function for linear, e.g. self.linear(x) and also users will need to place QuantStub/DeQuantStub properly.

you’ll probably need to rewrite it into a format that just calls self.linear(x) instead of querying the weight directly I think.

Or maybe in the future we would plan to support this in our new flow and you may just get this working out of the box.

you’ll probably need to rewrite it into a format that just calls self.linear(x) instead of querying the weight

But I’m not, I’m just calling the Transformer layer from the standard Pytorch.
Do you mean I need to monkey-patch the Transformer implementation by myself ?

eager mode quantization does not expect people call into linear_module.weight directly

I see… Transformer being part of the Pytorch library, I expected it to be quite straightforward to quantize.
What are the alternatives to Eager mode quantization ? I tried FX graph mode quantization, but it didn’t work (I can’t trace the Transformer model).

Did anyone tried to quantize the standard Transformer implementation ?

Did anyone tried to quantize the standard Transformer implementation ?

there has been some experiments/research projects doing this, nothing production ready yet. maybe @HDCharles and @Chillee can give more context here.

1 Like