Test Loader seems to be loading train data

Hello,

I have a weird issue and I can’t seem to find a typo. I have a training data set of shape (3719,100) and a testing data set of (6635,100). When I transform all data to tensors, the custom dataset and loader for the test data seems to be loading train data according to the .size(0 outputs. Below is the code I’m working with:

class tensor_data(Dataset):
    def __init__(self, num, cats, labels, images):
        self.num = num_tensor
        self.cats = cats
        self.labels = labels
        self.images = images

def __len__(self):
        return len(self.num)

def __getitem__(self, idx):
        return self.num[idx], self.cats[idx], self.labels[idx], self.images[idx]

Here is how I derive the data to use the above:

###########################train tensors#####################################
num_tensor = torch.tensor(np.asarray(train_sample.loc[:, numerical_columns]), dtype = torch.float)
col_tensor = torch.tensor(np.asarray(train_sample.loc[:, non_loca_cat_columns]), dtype = torch.long)
label_tensor = torch.tensor(np.asarray(train_sample.loc[:, 'target']), dtype = torch.long)
image_tensor = []
for i, row in train_sample.iterrows():
    image_tensor.append(train_transform(Image.open(Path(row['location']))))
images = torch.stack(image_tensor)
print("train: ", num_tensor.size(), col_tensor.size(), label_tensor.size(), images.size())
output: train:  torch.Size([3719, 6]) torch.Size([3719, 8]) torch.Size([3719]) torch.Size([3719, 3, 224, 224])

train_data = tensor_data(num_tensor, col_tensor, label_tensor, images)
print('train_data:', len(train_data))
output: train_data: 3719

train_loader = DataLoader(train_data, batch_size = 10, shuffle = True)
print('train_loader: ', len(train_loader))
output: train_loader:  372

So all of the above makes sense. This is what happens when I do the same with the test data.

test_num_tensor = torch.tensor(np.asarray(test.loc[:, numerical_columns]), dtype = torch.float)
test_col_tensor = torch.tensor(np.asarray(test.loc[:, non_loca_cat_columns]), dtype = torch.long)
test_label_tensor = torch.tensor(np.asarray(test.loc[:, 'target']), dtype = torch.long)
test_image_tensor = []
for i, row in test.iterrows():
    test_image_tensor.append(test_transform(Image.open(Path(row['location']))))
test_images = torch.stack(test_image_tensor)
print("test: ", test_num_tensor.size(),  test_col_tensor.size(),  test_label_tensor.size(),  test_images.size())
output: test:  torch.Size([6635, 6]) torch.Size([6635, 8]) torch.Size([6635]) torch.Size([6635, 3, 224, 224])

test_data = tensor_data(test_num_tensor, test_col_tensor, test_label_tensor, test_images)
print('test_data:', len(test_data))
 output: test_data: 3719

test_loader = DataLoader(test_data, batch_size = 10, shuffle = False)
print('test_loader: ', len(test_loader)) 
output: test_loader:  372

The above shows the test tensors the correct size of (6635, x) but when bringing them in through the custom dataset then loader, I get the lengths of the train loader. Am I missing something simple?

That’s the problem. Should be self.num = num

Wow. Yep. That was it. Thank you!