torch.cuda.OutOfMemoryError: CUDA out of memory. Tried to allocate

Hi there.

I’m trying to run a version of the new Llama3 model.
Specifically this one NurtureAI/Meta-Llama-3-8B-Instruct-64k-GGUF · Hugging Face

When I run the code in the example, or modify the messages a bit, all works fine.

If I give a very large message ( let’s say some HTML code ) I get this error :

python ./main.py
Special tokens have been added in the vocabulary, make sure the associated word embeddings are fine-tuned or trained.
Loading checkpoint shards: 100%|█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████| 4/4 [00:05<00:00,  1.36s/it]
The attention mask and the pad token id were not set. As a consequence, you may observe unexpected behavior. Please pass your input's `attention_mask` to obtain reliable results.
Setting `pad_token_id` to `eos_token_id`:128001 for open-end generation.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/antouank/_REPOS_/test-llama3-64k/./main.py", line 1439, in <module>
    outputs = model.generate(
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/antouank/_REPOS_/test-llama3-64k/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch/utils/_contextlib.py", line 115, in decorate_context
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/antouank/_REPOS_/test-llama3-64k/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/transformers/generation/utils.py", line 1622, in generate
    result = self._sample(
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/antouank/_REPOS_/test-llama3-64k/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/transformers/generation/utils.py", line 2791, in _sample
    outputs = self(
              ^^^^^
  File "/home/antouank/_REPOS_/test-llama3-64k/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1532, in _wrapped_call_impl
    return self._call_impl(*args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/antouank/_REPOS_/test-llama3-64k/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1541, in _call_impl
    return forward_call(*args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/antouank/_REPOS_/test-llama3-64k/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/transformers/models/llama/modeling_llama.py", line 1208, in forward
    outputs = self.model(
              ^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/antouank/_REPOS_/test-llama3-64k/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1532, in _wrapped_call_impl
  File "/home/antouank/_REPOS_/test-llama3-64k/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1541, in _call_impl
  File "/home/antouank/_REPOS_/test-llama3-64k/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/transformers/models/llama/modeling_llama.py", line 1018, in forward
    layer_outputs = decoder_layer(
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/antouank/_REPOS_/test-llama3-64k/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/transformers/models/llama/modeling_llama.py", line 756, in forward
    hidden_states = self.mlp(hidden_states)
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/antouank/_REPOS_/test-llama3-64k/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/transformers/models/llama/modeling_llama.py", line 240, in forward
    down_proj = self.down_proj(self.act_fn(self.gate_proj(x)) * self.up_proj(x))
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/antouank/_REPOS_/test-llama3-64k/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/activation.py", line 396, in forward
    return F.silu(input, inplace=self.inplace)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/antouank/_REPOS_/test-llama3-64k/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch/nn/functional.py", line 2102, in silu
    return torch._C._nn.silu(input)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
torch.cuda.OutOfMemoryError: CUDA out of memory. Tried to allocate 1.68 GiB. GPU

my GPU is a 4090 and for sure has more free VRAM than 1.68! So what’s the issue here?
How can I make it allow large messages?

I tried googling this but I cannot find any similar reference anywhere.

Thank you.

The error points to a failed allocation trying to allocate 1.68GB in addition to what is already allocated. Your error message is cut but should show the overall memory usage.

that is the whole output. there’s nothing “cut”, unless I misunderstood what you say.

so a larger prompt can affect the memory needs in GBs scale??
I didn’t expect that.

I made a video, it seems like it does fill up the VRAM ( look at the nvidia-smi output below )

Is there a way to offload some to the RAM?
And how can I calculate what’s the max prompt it can handle with ~22GB of VRAM?

I’m baffled it works with a prompt of 500 lines but not with a prompt of 1500 lines. ( basically I’m just giving it an HTML page as input, it’s not that much tokens per line )

I’m not deeply familiar with the model, but you could check how the sequence length is used inside it and estimate the memory using e.g. this approach.