Torch CUDA unknown error, but CUDA and nvidia-smi properly installed on Azure K8s Service

Hi everyone!

I’m having an issue where I’m pretty confident that CUDA and pytorch are setup properly, but I’m nevertheless failing to initialize pytorch with CUDA:

The context of my situation is that I’m setting up JupyterHub on AKS by building on top of the JupyterHub pyspark image which has Ubuntu (focal) as its base image. The AKS node image version that I’m using is AKSUbuntu-1804gen2gpucontainerd-2021.08.07, which has the NVIDIA 470.57.02 driver version.

In my dockerfile that I use to build on top of the JupyterHub PySpark image, I use the following to install CUDA and then install PyTorch (which I essentially just copied from the installation instructions online).

USER root

# Add directories to conda virtual environments
RUN mkdir /etc/conda && \
    echo -e "envs_dirs:\n - /home/jovyan/my-conda-envs/\n - /home/jovyan/shared/shared-conda-envs" > /etc/conda/.condarc

# Install cURL, bash, Azure CLI, ViM, tmux, essential GNU compiler collection (C, C++ compiler), PCI utils, linux headers.
RUN apt-get upgrade && apt-get update && \
    apt-get install -y apt-utils && \
    apt-get install -y \ 
      curl \
      bash \
      vim \
      tmux \
      htop \
      build-essential \
      pciutils \
      linux-headers-$(uname -r) && \
    curl -sL https://aka.ms/InstallAzureCLIDeb | sudo bash

# Install CUDA and clean stuff up
RUN echo 'debconf debconf/frontend select Noninteractive' | sudo debconf-set-selections && \
    wget https://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu2004/x86_64/cuda-ubuntu2004.pin && \
    sudo mv cuda-ubuntu2004.pin /etc/apt/preferences.d/cuda-repository-pin-600 && \
    wget https://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/11.4.1/local_installers/cuda-repo-ubuntu2004-11-4-local_11.4.1-470.57.02-1_amd64.deb && \
    sudo dpkg -i cuda-repo-ubuntu2004-11-4-local_11.4.1-470.57.02-1_amd64.deb && \
    sudo apt-key add /var/cuda-repo-ubuntu2004-11-4-local/7fa2af80.pub && \
    sudo apt-get update && \
    sudo apt-get -y install cuda && \
    apt-get clean && rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*

USER ${NB_UID}

# Install pytorch
RUN mamba install --quiet --yes \
    pytorch \
    torchvision \
    torchaudio \
    cudatoolkit=11.1 \
    -c pytorch \
    -c nvidia \
    && \
    mamba clean --all -f -y && \
    fix-permissions "${CONDA_DIR}" && \
    fix-permissions "/home/${NB_USER}"

WORKDIR "${HOME}"

I can post the entire dockerfile if needed (it’s not too long), but I thought that this was the relevant part.

When I start up a terminal in JupyterHub and run nvidia-smi, I get the following positive output showing that CUDA is properly setup with version 11.4 and can detect my single Tesla P100 GPU:

Additionally, collect_env.py also detects the GPU, but not CUDA:

jovyan@jupyter-nomi-20ringach:~/RCA_test$ python collect_env.py 
Collecting environment information...
/opt/conda/lib/python3.9/site-packages/torch/cuda/__init__.py:52: UserWarning: CUDA initialization: CUDA unknown error - this may be due to an incorrectly set up environment, e.g. changing env variable CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES after program start. Setting the available devices to be zero. (Triggered internally at  /opt/conda/conda-bld/pytorch_1623448255797/work/c10/cuda/CUDAFunctions.cpp:115.)
  return torch._C._cuda_getDeviceCount() > 0
PyTorch version: 1.9.0
Is debug build: False
CUDA used to build PyTorch: 11.1
ROCM used to build PyTorch: N/A
GCC version: (Ubuntu 9.3.0-17ubuntu1~20.04) 9.3.0
Clang version: Could not collect
CMake version: Could not collect
Libc version: glibc-2.31
Python version: 3.9.6 | packaged by conda-forge | (default, Jul 11 2021, 03:39:48)  [GCC 9.3.0] (64-bit runtime)
Python platform: Linux-5.4.0-1055-azure-x86_64-with-glibc2.31
Is CUDA available: False
CUDA runtime version: Could not collect
GPU models and configuration: GPU 0: Tesla P100-PCIE-16GB
Nvidia driver version: 470.57.02
cuDNN version: Could not collect
HIP runtime version: N/A
MIOpen runtime version: N/A
Versions of relevant libraries:
[pip3] numpy==1.21.2
[pip3] torch==1.9.0
[pip3] torchaudio==0.9.0a0+33b2469
[pip3] torchvision==0.2.2
[conda] blas                      2.108                       mkl    conda-forge
[conda] blas-devel                3.9.0                     8_mkl    conda-forge
[conda] cudatoolkit               11.1.74              h6bb024c_0    nvidia
[conda] libblas                   3.9.0                     8_mkl    conda-forge
[conda] libcblas                  3.9.0                     8_mkl    conda-forge
[conda] liblapack                 3.9.0                     8_mkl    conda-forge
[conda] liblapacke                3.9.0                     8_mkl    conda-forge
[conda] mkl                       2020.4             h726a3e6_304    conda-forge
[conda] mkl-devel                 2020.4             ha770c72_305    conda-forge
[conda] mkl-include               2020.4             h726a3e6_304    conda-forge
[conda] numpy                     1.21.2           py39hdbf815f_0    conda-forge
[conda] pytorch                   1.9.0           py3.9_cuda11.1_cudnn8.0.5_0    pytorch
[conda] torchaudio                0.9.0                      py39    pytorch
[conda] torchvision               0.2.2                      py_3    pytorch

I’ve seen similar issues on the forum, but none of them seem to quite address or solve my particular issue. I’d also be content with a way to debug this, since the error message isn’t very specific.

Any help, tips, or advice would be amazing!

Thank you!

@ptrblck Sorry for tagging you, but I was wondering if you have any guidance on this. Either on how to solve it, debug it, or on who/where to ask. So far, the NVIDIA community seems to think this is a pytorch/Azure issue and the Azure kubernetes community thinks it’s a pytorch/CUDA issue, so this is the last place I have left to ask in this dependency triangle :sweat_smile:

Thank you!

Let me close the loop and claim it’s an Azure/Kubernetes issue :stuck_out_tongue:
Back to the issue: I’m not familiar with AKS, but could you try to run either the pytorch docker container or the NGC one to check, if the node setup might not be able to run any containers?
If these containers are running fine, I would guess that your custom docker container might create some issues and we would need to check it.

These are fantastic ideas that I somehow didn’t think of trying. I’ll give them a shot and hopefully come back with good news! Thanks!

It’s possible that if the Docker CUDA version is a later version than the bare system’s CUDA driver, then the docker CUDA will have problems. Perhaps try CUDA 10.2