Torch.sigmoid function gradient issue after first epoch (Trying to backward through the graph a second time)

Hi, I’m running the following code for an optimization problem. (The loss function here is just a simplified example). The loss depends on the values of the weights tensor, which is passed through a sigmoid layer and division to make sure: (1) Each entry is between 0, 1 (2) The vector sums to 1.

def test_weights(epochs):
  weights = torch.rand(64, requires_grad= True)
  optimizer = torch.optim.SGD([weights], lr=1e-2, momentum=0.9)

for e in range(epochs):
    optimizer.zero_grad()

weights = torch.sigmoid(weights.clone())
    weights = (weights / weights.sum()).clone()

error = weights[1] + weights[2]
    error.backward()
    optimizer.step()

print(weights[0:5])
  return weights

However, after printing the first epoch, I got the error:

Trying to backward through the graph a second time (or directly access saved tensors after they have already been freed). Saved intermediate values of the graph are freed when you call .backward() or autograd.grad(). Specify retain_graph=True if you need to backward through the graph a second time or if you need to access saved tensors after calling backward.

Is there any way to solve this issue?

Try modifying your loss.backward() call with loss.backward(retain_graph=True)

1 Like

Just a question, why do you have your weights Tensor be of size 64 but only define the error of the first two? (granted they are normalised so there will be gradient for all gradients). I’m not 100% sure but doing weights[1] might be in-place so check your Tensor does indeed have a grad_fn. Otherwise, your gradient will be zero!

Also, you might want to reduce your learning rate and momentum constant, you’re likely converging directly into a local minima (or perhaps even diverging) and getting stuck. Try lr=1e-4 with/without momentum =0.9.