Torchvision same random transforms on multi images

Hello,

I am working on an optical flow algorithm, where the input is 2 images of size HxWx3 and the target is a tensor of size HxWx2. To do data augmentation, I need to apply the same random transformation to all the 3 tensors. Take this augmentation for example:

aug_transforms = transforms.Compose([
            transforms.RandomHorizontalFlip(),
            transforms.RandomResizedCrop((614, 216), scale=(0.1, 1.0)),
            transforms.RandomRotation(17),
            transforms.RandomVerticalFlip(),
            transforms.RandomApply([transforms.ColorJitter()])
        ])

The torchvision transforms accept PIL object as an input. To solve this problem I have two questions:

• Can we save the random state of a given transform, so that we can apply the same randomness to img1, img2 and the flow ?
  • Can we combine all the date into a PIL object, apply transformation and retrieve back the same tensors values range we had at the beginning ?

I would recommend to use the functional API as shown here, since working with the seed might be hard and yield unwanted side effects.

That being said, Iā€™m not sure at the moment, if PIL will accept the target images with two channels, so you might need to split the channels (or add a dummy channel to the target).

Thank you for the reply. I see that this issue is faced a lot in different projects that have a tensor output. Just our of curiosity, do you know why they are using PIL instead of just numpy arrays, so we can apply the transforms on a list of tensors with different number of channels ?

For people having the same issue. I found an interesting API that does data augmentation on numpy array of any channel number, can do it on multi targets, bounding boxes, masks ā€¦

import albumentations as albu
import cv2
co_aug_transforms = albu.Compose([albu.RandomSizedCrop((300, 436), 400, 940, w2h_ratio=1024/436, p=0.5),
                                  albu.Flip(),
                                  albu.ShiftScaleRotate()
                                  ])

flow = readflo(path_to_flow)
frame1 = cv2.cvtColor(cv2.imread(path_to_frame1), cv2.COLOR_BGR2RGB)
frame2 = cv2.cvtColor(cv2.imread(path_to_frame2), cv2.COLOR_BGR2RGB)
target = {}
target3 = {'image0': 'image', 'image1': 'image', 'image2': 'image'}
transformed = albu.Compose(co_aug_transforms, p=1, additional_targets=target3)(image=frame1,
                                                                                         image0=frame2,
                                                                                         image1=flow)

frame1 = transformed['image']
frame2 = transformed['image0']
flow = transformed['image1']

3 Likes