Tracing custom RNN model

Hi !

I am currently trying to trace a custom RNN model to be able to execute it faster (I think it would make sense given how it uses for loops, but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong), for which a minimal example would be as follows :

import torch
from torch.nn import Module, Parameter
from torch.autograd import Variable

class minimal_ex(Module):
    def __init__(self, input_size=1, recurrent_size=1):
        super(minimal_ex, self).__init__()
        n_h, n_i = recurrent_size, input_size
        self.input_size = input_size
        self.recurrent_size = recurrent_size
        self.activation = lambda x: x

self.mask_rec = Parameter(torch.ones(n_h, n_h), requires_grad=False)
        self.mask_in = Parameter(torch.ones(n_h, n_i), requires_grad=False)
        self.neuron_signs = Parameter((torch.ones(n_h)).float(), requires_grad=False)

self.w_i = Parameter(torch.ones(recurrent_size, input_size))
        self.w_h = Parameter(torch.zeros(recurrent_size, recurrent_size))
        self.bias = Parameter(torch.zeros(recurrent_size))
        self.cuda()

def forward(self, inp):
        h_0 = Variable(torch.zeros(1, self.recurrent_size)).cuda()
        batch_size, seq_len, dim = inp.shape
        w_i = (self.w_i * self.mask_in).transpose(0,1)
        w_h = (self.w_h * self.mask_rec).transpose(0,1)

w_h_with_signs = torch.mm(torch.diag(self.neuron_signs), w_h)

h = FloatTensor(batch_size, seq_len, self.recurrent_size)
        h[:, -1, :] = h_0

for t in torch.arange(seq_len):
            h[:, t, :] = self.activation(torch.mm(inp[:, t, :].clone(), w_i) +
                         torch.mm(h[:, t-1, :].clone(), w_h_with_signs) - self.bias)
        return h

bs = 64
seq_len = 500
in_size = 2
inp = torch.FloatTensor(bs, seq_len, in_size).uniform_().cuda()

model = minimal_ex(input_size=in_size, recurrent_size=128)
traced_forward = torch.jit.trace(model, inp)

When I do so, the output contains several warnings :

• TracerWarning: Converting a tensor to a Python index might cause the trace to be incorrect. We can’t record the data flow of Python values, so this value will be treated as a constant in the future. This means that the trace might not generalize to other inputs!
    h = FloatTensor(batch_size, seq_len, self.recurrent_size)
  • RuntimeWarning: Iterating over a tensor might cause the trace to be incorrect. Passing a tensor of different shape won’t change the number of iterations executed (and might lead to errors or silently give incorrect results).
    ‘incorrect results).’, category=RuntimeWarning)
  • TracerWarning: Converting a tensor to a Python integer might cause the trace to be incorrect. We can’t record the data flow of Python values, so this value will be treated as a constant in the future. This means that the trace might not generalize to other inputs!
  • TracerWarning: Output nr 1. of the traced function does not match the corresponding output of the repeated trace. Detailed error:
    Not within tolerance rtol=1e-05 atol=1e-05 at input[0, 26, 0] (0.48441100120544434 vs. 3.6893488147419103e+19) and 4095999 other locations (100.00%)
    _check_trace([example_inputs], func, executor_options, module, check_tolerance, _force_outplace)

I was expecting some warnings (in particular, if I change the seq_len I would not expect it to work, but this is fine), but I don’t understand why the output of the traced model blows up while the Python one does not.

Is there something wrong with the way I use trace?

Thank you in advance for your help

Hey, are you sure that repro is exactly what you are running? When I try to run it on our master branch, I get a few runtime errors. (some are trivial, like an unqualified call to FloatTensor).

Just want to make sure we are running exactly the same code so I can look into your issue

Sorry about that, I had removed a local import that I thought was irrelevant but defined FloatTensor = torch.cuda.FloatTensor

I edited the code to directly use torch.FloatTensor, and surprisingly it makes a difference and the model does not blow up anymore (but still gives wrong results) :

New code :

import torch
from torch.nn import Module, Parameter
from torch.autograd import Variable

class minimal_ex(Module):
    def __init__(self, input_size=1, recurrent_size=1):
        super(minimal_ex, self).__init__()
        n_h, n_i = recurrent_size, input_size
        self.input_size = input_size
        self.recurrent_size = recurrent_size
        self.activation = lambda x: x

self.mask_rec = Parameter(torch.ones(n_h, n_h), requires_grad=False)
        self.mask_in = Parameter(torch.ones(n_h, n_i), requires_grad=False)

self.neuron_signs = Parameter((torch.ones(n_h)).float(), requires_grad=False)

self.w_i = Parameter(torch.ones(recurrent_size, input_size))
        self.w_h = Parameter(torch.zeros(recurrent_size, recurrent_size))
        self.bias = Parameter(torch.zeros(recurrent_size))

self.cuda()

def forward(self, inp):
        h_0 = Variable(torch.zeros(1, self.recurrent_size)).cuda()
        batch_size, seq_len, dim = inp.shape
        w_i = (self.w_i * self.mask_in).transpose(0,1)
        w_h = (self.w_h * self.mask_rec).transpose(0,1)

w_h_with_signs = torch.mm(torch.diag(self.neuron_signs), w_h)

h = torch.FloatTensor(batch_size, seq_len, self.recurrent_size).cuda()
        h[:, -1, :] = h_0

for t in torch.arange(seq_len):
            h[:, t, :] = self.activation(torch.mm(inp[:, t, :].clone(), w_i) +
        return h

if __name__ == '__main__':
    print(torch.__version__)
    print(torch.version.cuda)

bs = 64
    seq_len = 500
    in_size = 2
    inp = torch.FloatTensor(bs, seq_len, in_size).uniform_().cuda()

model = minimal_ex(input_size=in_size, recurrent_size=128)
    traced_forward = torch.jit.trace(model, inp)

New output :

rep.py:37: TracerWarning: Converting a tensor to a Python index might cause the trace to be incorrect. We can’t record the data flow of Python values, so this value will be treated as a constant in the future. This means that the trace might not generalize to other inputs!
h = torch.FloatTensor(batch_size, seq_len, self.recurrent_size).cuda()
/users/fanthomme/miniconda3/envs/env_these/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/tensor.py:427: RuntimeWarning: Iterating over a tensor might cause the trace to be incorrect. Passing a tensor of different shape won’t change the number of iterations executed (and might lead to errors or silently give incorrect results).
‘incorrect results).’, category=RuntimeWarning)
rep.py:42: TracerWarning: Converting a tensor to a Python integer might cause the trace to be incorrect. We can’t record the data flow of Python values, so this value will be treated as a constant in the future. This means that the trace might not generalize to other inputs!
/users/fanthomme/miniconda3/envs/env_these/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/jit/init.py:642: TracerWarning: Output nr 1. of the traced function does not match the corresponding output of the Python function. Detailed error:
Not within tolerance rtol=1e-05 atol=1e-05 at input[34, 459, 0] (0.0 vs. 1.991980791091919) and 4095999 other locations (100.00%)
_check_trace([example_inputs], func, executor_options, module, check_tolerance, _force_outplace)

I might also add that running that script several times always gives 100% discrepancy, but the exact position and value slightly differ. And the model is running on a Tesla K40c

Please do not hesitate if you have any other question, and thanks a lot