Transform output probabilities to labels without detaching gradients

Hi there!

I am having some trouble training a model from scratch. I am dealing with a dataset that contains images and their assigned label, 0 or 1. I aim to classify them using a ResNet architechture, which has the two class probabilities as an output. Hence, for each batch of images trained, I obtain a tensor of size (batch_size, 2). As the ground truth, I have a tensor of size (batch_size), with the true labels for each image.

As the training loss function, I am using the Focal Loss (torchvision.ops.focal_loss — Torchvision 0.15 documentation) from Pytorch. To compute the loss I need to transform my predicted probabilities to the binary target, so I performed argmax() to get the label with higher probability. Nevertheless, this detaches the loss calculation from the computation graph (as read here: Element 0 of tensors does not require grad and does not have a grad_fn How can i fix this - #2 by ptrblck).

My issue then is that I don´t know how to transform my output probabilities to labels without it affecting the gradients.

Here the code:

from torch.optim.lr_scheduler import LambdaLR
import torch.nn as nn

sm = nn.Softmax(dim=1)

# Create a custom learning rate scheduler
def lr_lambda(epoch):
    return lr_2 if epoch > 80 else lr_1

scheduler = LambdaLR(optimizer, lr_lambda=lr_lambda)

# Training loop
for epoch in range(total_epochs):

print(f"Epoch {epoch+1}")

# Set the model to training mode
    model.train()

# Iterate over the training data
    for i, data in enumerate(train_loader):
        inputs, labels = data
        # Process the batch inputs and labels
        inputs = inputs.float().to(device)
        labels = labels.float().to(device)

# Forward pass
        outputs = model(inputs)
        predicted_probs = sm(outputs)
        predicted_probs = predicted_probs.squeeze(-1).squeeze(-1)

# Compute loss
        loss = sigmoid_focal_loss(predicted_probs, labels, gamma=3) # CONFLICT!!

# Clear parameter gradients
        optimizer.zero_grad()

# Backward pass and optimization
        loss.backward()
        optimizer.step()

# Update the learning rate based on the custom scheduler
    scheduler.step()

I get the following error in the line of conflict:
ValueError: Target size (torch.Size([32])) must be the same as input size (torch.Size([32, 2]))

Thanks in advance for all your response.

From the docs:

• inputs (Tensor) – A float tensor of arbitrary shape. The predictions for each example.
  • targets (Tensor) – A float tensor with the same shape as inputs. Stores the binary classification label for each element in inputs (0 for the negative class and 1 for the positive class).

I don’t think you need to apply argmax on the target or model output (which would also detach it from the computation graph).