Trying to backward through the graph while only sharing an input tensor

I am trying to organize CycleGAN code in my own fashion and wile running (disclaimer: this is just a snipped but I hope it is self-explanatory)

def optimize_parameters(self):
    real_k = Variable(torch.rand([1, 128, 128])).cuda()
    real_w = Variable(torch.rand([1, 128, 128])).cuda()

fake_k = self.generator_K(real_w)
    fake_w = self.generator_W(real_k)

# G
    set_requires_grad([self.discriminator_K, self.discriminator_W], False)
    self.optimizer_generator.zero_grad()

gen_K_loss = self.gan_loss(self.discriminator_K(fake_k), True)
    gen_W_loss = self.gan_loss(self.discriminator_W(fake_w), True)
    gen_loss = gen_K_loss + gen_W_loss
    gen_loss.backward()

self.optimizer_generator.step()
    set_requires_grad([self.discriminator_K, self.discriminator_W], True)

# D
    self.optimizer_discriminator.zero_grad()

dis_K_loss = self.gan_loss(self.discriminator_K(real_k), True)

dis_K_loss.backward() # <<< RuntimeError: Trying to backward through the graph a second time, but the buffers have already been freed. Specify retain_graph=True when calling backward the first time.
    self.optimizer_discriminator.step()

I get RuntimeError: Trying to backward through the graph a second time, but the buffers have already been freed. Specify retain_graph=True when calling backward the first time. and I can not understand why is this happening. To my understanding, discriminator and generator share just the input real_k and no discriminator graph should be created whilst optimizing the generator. However, this somehow happens.

Could someone help me understand this? Thanks!

Hi,

This is surprising indeed given the code you shared.
Are you sure that you don’t save any state that you re-use in the gan_loss or the discriminator?

Hi, thanks for the replay! As you said it, I’ve reused state (returned reference of real_[w|k]) within the generator which forced both generator and discriminator to be traverse during backprop. Anyhow, I just find out this stupid bug and for the future references: be sure to double-check are you returning copy of a tensor or a reference.