TypeError: expected Tensor as element 0 in argument 0, but got int

I was using this example code in a deep q network but it keeps throwing an error “TypeError: expected Tensor as element 0 in argument 0, but got int” and the line in question is “action_batch = torch.cat(batch.action)” I have tried to use cpu and cuda but neither work any help would be apreciated.

1 Like

I guess this error might be raised, if the batch size was set to 1 and batch.action might then be a single scalar value / integer? If so, you could most likely use torch.tensor(batch.action) instead of torch.cat.

Hi @ptrblck ,
I was using the following code and got the similar error:

all_loss[phase] = torch.cat((all_loss[phase], loss.detach().view(1, -1)))
TypeError: expected Tensor as element 0 in argument 0, but got numpy.float32

I tried to print the output:

print(">>>>>", loss.detach().view(1, -1), type(loss.detach().view(1, -1)), loss.detach().view(1, -1).dtype)

and got:

>>>>> tensor([[0.4254]], device='cuda:0') <class 'torch.Tensor'> torch.float32
>>>>> tensor([[0.5419]], device='cuda:0') <class 'torch.Tensor'> torch.float32
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/banikr2/PycharmProjects/Blockface/Codes/Main.py", line 131, in <module>

Could you help to debug it?
Btw phase is just either train or val.

Could you check the type of all_loss[phase] and in case it’s containing more than one object, the type of the first object?
Based on the error message it seems that all_loss[phase] is already containing a numpy array, which will raise this error.

I am actually trying to implement the codes here:

print(">", all_loss)
> {'train': tensor([0.], device='cuda:0'), 'valid': tensor([0.], device='cuda:0')}
print(">>", all_loss[phase], type(all_loss[phase]))
>> tensor([0.], device='cuda:0') <class 'torch.Tensor'>
print(">>>", loss.detach().view(1, -1), type(loss.detach().view(1, -1)), loss.detach().view(1, -1).dtype)
>>> tensor([[0.5484]], device='cuda:0') <class 'torch.Tensor'> torch.float32

These objects seem to work after fixing the shape mismatch:

all_loss = {'train': torch.tensor([0.], device='cuda:0'),
            'valid': torch.tensor([0.], device='cuda:0')}
print(all_loss)
> {'train': tensor([0.], device='cuda:0'), 'valid': tensor([0.], device='cuda:0')}

loss = torch.tensor([[0.5484]], device='cuda:0')
print(loss)
> tensor([[0.5484]], device='cuda:0')

phase = 'train'
> RuntimeError: Tensors must have same number of dimensions: got 2 and 1

all_loss[phase] = torch.cat((all_loss[phase], loss.detach().view(-1)))
print(all_loss)
> {'train': tensor([0.0000, 0.5484], device='cuda:0'), 'valid': tensor([0.], device='cuda:0')}

Made the two changes you’ve mentioned but getting the same error:

all_loss[phase] = torch.cat((all_loss[phase], loss.detach().view(-1)))

Change/diff:

# all_loss = {key: torch.zeros(1).to(device) for key in phases}
    all_loss = {'train': torch.tensor([0.], device='cuda:0'),
                'valid': torch.tensor([0.], device='cuda:0')}

Are you getting this error also using my code snippet or only yours?
In the latter case, it seems you are still adding a numpy array to all_loss, so would still have to narrow down the offending line of code.

I tried to implement 3 Bayesian NN simultaneously each outputs a tuple, however when I combined their results using torch cat I got the same error: ValueError: only one element tensors can be converted to Python scalars.
my code is as following:

self.bcnn1=nn.Sequential(bcnn1d(in_channels=self.in_channels, out_channels=8,
kernel_size=5, padding=2, dilation=1),
BN(num_features=8))
self.bcnn2=nn.Sequential(bcnn1d(in_channels=self.in_channels, out_channels=8,
kernel_size=5, padding=6, dilation=3),
BN(num_features=8))
self.bcnn3=nn.Sequential(bcnn1d(in_channels=self.in_channels, out_channels=8,
kernel_size=5,padding=12, dilation=6),
BN(num_features=8))
bcnn_out = self.bcnn(torch.cat(bcnn1, bcnn2, bcnn3),dim=1)

however, I tried co convert each one onf the bcnn to a tensor but got ValueError: only one element tensors can be converted to Python scalars:

bcnn_out = self.bcnn(torch.cat(torch.Tensor(bcnn_out1), torch.Tensor(bcnn_out2), torch.Tensor(bcnn_out3))

Could you post the entire stacktrace and a minimal, executable code snippet to reproduce the issue, please?

OK
I tried to implement 3 Bayesian NN simultaneously each outputs a tuple, however when I combined their results using torch.cat I got the same error: ValueError: only one element tensors can be converted to Python scalars.
my code is as following:
however, I tried co convert each one one of the bcnn to a tensor but got ValueError: only one element tensors can be converted to Python scalars:

bcnn_out = self.bcnn(torch.cat(torch.Tensor(bcnn_out1), torch.Tensor(bcnn_out2), torch.Tensor(bcnn_out3))

Hello there I am facing the similar error like the one mentioned above. I am getting
error like “expected Tensor as element 4 in argument 0, but got int”. Here element 4 keeps changing like element 5, 6 or 9. I don’t know why is this happening but I do know that problem arises when I am concatenating two different datasets on from the fall_detection dataset and other from the UP_FALL_dataset using torch.utils.data.ConcatDataset
I am sharing my colab link here: Google Colab

can anyone please suggest why is this problem occuring

TypeError: only integer tensors of a single element can be converted to an index

start training

Trainer(model=model, args=training_args, train_dataset=train_dataset, eval_dataset=test_dataset,
data_collator=lambda data: {‘input_ids’: torch.tensor([f[0] for f in data]),
‘attention_mask’: torch.tensor([f[1] for f in data]),
‘sentiment’: torch.tensor([f[0] for f in data])}).train()

Hi Im trying to run this code to implement GPT for NLP data, can you please help me resolve it?