U-Net Binary Cross Entropy Loss Increases

Hi

I’m trying to implement a U-Net in PyTorch. I have been following this article: https://towardsdatascience.com/u-net-b229b32b4a71

I have created binary masks in MatLab using poly2mask for about 650 images. The binary masks are in BMP format and consists of 256x256 pixels with values of either 0 or 255 (i.e. black background and white object).

I load the training images with corresponding masks into tensors:

orgdir = "\image_unet\org"
maskdir = "\image_unet\mask
for k in range(0,n_train):
    # Load Image
    number = "_{}.bmp".format(k+1)

orgname = "org"+number
    maskname = "mask"+number

im = io.imread(os.path.join(orgdir,orgname))
    im = ts.Tensor(im)
    img_train[k,:,:,:]=im

mask = io.imread(os.path.join(maskdir,maskname))
    mask = ts.Tensor(mask)
    mask = mask / 255
    label_train[k,:,:,:] = mask

I am able to get an output from the U-Net I have made from the article:

class UNet(nn.Module):

def encoding_block(self, in_channels, out_channels, kernel_size=3):

block = nn.Sequential(
                nn.Conv2d(in_channels=in_channels, out_channels=out_channels, kernel_size=kernel_size,padding=1),
                nn.ReLU(),
                nn.BatchNorm2d(out_channels),
                nn.Conv2d(in_channels=out_channels, out_channels=out_channels,kernel_size=kernel_size,padding=1),
                nn.ReLU(),
                )    
        return block

def decoding_block(self, in_channels, mid_channels, out_channels, kernel_size=3):

block = nn.Sequential(
                nn.Conv2d(in_channels=in_channels, out_channels=mid_channels, kernel_size=kernel_size,padding=1),
                nn.ReLU(),
                nn.BatchNorm2d(mid_channels),
                nn.Conv2d(in_channels=mid_channels, out_channels=mid_channels, kernel_size=kernel_size,padding=1),
                nn.ReLU(),
                nn.ConvTranspose2d(in_channels=mid_channels, out_channels=out_channels, kernel_size=kernel_size,stride=2, padding=1,output_padding=1),
                )
        return block

def final_block(self, in_channels, mid_channels, out_channels, kernel_size=3):

block = nn.Sequential(
                nn.Conv2d(in_channels=in_channels, out_channels=mid_channels, kernel_size=kernel_size,padding=1),
                nn.ReLU(),
                nn.Conv2d(in_channels=mid_channels, out_channels=mid_channels, kernel_size=kernel_size,padding=1),
                nn.ReLU(),
                nn.Conv2d(in_channels=mid_channels,out_channels=out_channels,kernel_size=kernel_size,padding=1),
                nn.ReLU(),
                )
         return block

def __init__(self, in_channels, out_channels):
        super(UNet, self).__init__()

# Encoding:
        self.encode_1 = self.encoding_block(in_channels=in_channels,out_channels=64)
        self.maxpool_1 = nn.MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2)

self.encode_2 = self.encoding_block(in_channels=64,out_channels=128)
        self.maxpool_2 = nn.MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2)

self.encode_3 = self.encoding_block(in_channels=128,out_channels=256)
        self.maxpool_3 = nn.MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2,ceil_mode=True)

# From Encoding to Decoding:
        self.enc2dec = nn.Sequential(
                nn.Conv2d(in_channels=256,out_channels=512,kernel_size=3,padding=1),
                nn.ReLU(),
                nn.BatchNorm2d(512),
                nn.Conv2d(in_channels=512,out_channels=512,kernel_size=3,padding=1),
                nn.ReLU(),
                nn.BatchNorm2d(512),
                nn.ConvTranspose2d(in_channels=512,out_channels=256,kernel_size=3, stride=2, padding=1,output_padding=1)
                )

# Decoding:
        self.decode_3 = self.decoding_block(in_channels=512,mid_channels=256,out_channels=128)
        self.decode_2 = self.decoding_block(in_channels=256,mid_channels=128,out_channels=64)
        self.final = self.final_block(in_channels=128,mid_channels=64,out_channels=out_channels)

def crop_and_concatenate(self, upsample, encoded_block, crop=False):
        #print("Size upsamle = {}".format(upsample.size()))
        #print("Size encoded_block = {}".format(encoded_block.size()))
        if crop:
            c = (encoded_block.size()[2] - upsample.size()[2]) // 2
            encoded_block = F.pad(encoded_block, (-c,-c,-c,-c))

return ts.cat((upsample,encoded_block),1)

def forward(self, x):
        # Encoding
        encode_block_1 = self.encode_1(x)
        encode_pool_1 = self.maxpool_1(encode_block_1)
        encode_block_2 = self.encode_2(encode_pool_1)
        encode_pool_2 = self.maxpool_2(encode_block_2)
        encode_block_3 = self.encode_3(encode_pool_2)
        encode_pool_3 = self.maxpool_3(encode_block_3)

# Encoding to decoding
        bottleneck = self.enc2dec(encode_pool_3)

# Decoding
        decode_block_3 = self.crop_and_concatenate(bottleneck, encode_block_3, crop=True)
        concatenation_layer_2 = self.decode_3(decode_block_3)
        decode_block_2 = self.crop_and_concatenate(concatenation_layer_2, encode_block_2, crop=True)
        concatenation_layer_1 = self.decode_2(decode_block_2)
        decode_block_1 = self.crop_and_concatenate(concatenation_layer_1, encode_block_1, crop= True)
        final_block = self.final(decode_block_1)

return ts.sigmoid(final_block)

I am using BCELoss() and this is where the problems begin. The loss increases for each epoch. It begins from about 0.4 and then increases steadily with about 1.0 for each epoch. My training function looks like:

def train(network, img, target):
    criterion = nn.BCELoss()
    #optimizer = ts.optim.SGD(network.parameters(),lr=0.01)
    optimizer = ts.optim.Adam(network.parameters())

running_loss = 0
    epoch_loss = 0

for epoch in range(100):
        print("Epoch {} out of {}".format(epoch+1,10))
        for i, im in enumerate(img):

# status
            if (i % 50) == 0:
                print("Image {} out of {}".format(i,img.shape[0]))

# get input
            image, truth = im.view(1,1,256,256), target[i].view(1,2,256,256)

# variable wrap
            image, truth = ts.autograd.Variable(image), ts.autograd.Variable(truth)

# forwardpass, backprop, optimization step
            prediction = network(image)
            #print(prediction.shape)
            #prediction = prediction.view(-1)
            #prediction = F.softmax(prediction,dim=0)
            # zero gradients
            optimizer.zero_grad()

#truth = truth.view(-1)

loss = criterion(prediction, truth)

running_loss += loss.item()

loss.backward()

optimizer.step()

epoch_loss = running_loss / (i+1)
        print('Loss for epoch {} was {}'.format(epoch+1,epoch_loss))

return network

As I am very new to deep learning I am really in doubt where I go wrong and how I can fix it. My idea was: Input an original image, then output a single feature map 256x256x1 and compute the binary cross entropy loss with the mask corresponding to the input image also with dimension 256x256x1, but this idea appears to be wrong.

In the U-Net article, they output two feature maps where one is for background and one is for object, I think, so my preprocessing might be misguided.

I really hope someone can point me to where I go wrong: Is it the image-mask preprocessing? Is it the code? Have I misunderstood the loss computation?

I would really appreciate any inputs.
Thanks in advance,
Simon

From the [https://pytorch.org/docs/stable/nn.html#torch.nn.CrossEntropyLoss](http://CE doc) I learned that I must input “raw, unnormalized scores for each class” (i.e. no softmax in advance).

The shape of the input is input = (N,C,d1​,d2​,…,dK​), where N = batch size, C is number of classes and d1 and d2 are the two dimensions because I work in grey scale, while the target is target = (N,d1,d2).

Also to my understanding I dont have to one-hot encode the target tensors, but I can give them straight away as 256x256 tensors with pixels with values either 0 or 1 denoting the classes.

My network outputs tensors of size: [1, 2, 256, 256]. This seems to be in order as my batch size should be 1, I have C = 2 classes and my input images have dimensions d1 = d2 = 256.

This is then given as input to the CrossEntropyLoss() with the target that has dimensions [1, 256, 256].

I feel like I am approaching something, but the problem just changed from a steadily increasing loss to a loss equal to zero on each epoch.

Ideas to what I do wrong would still be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Simon

The shapes of your model output and target seem to be alright for nn.CrossentropyLoss.
Did you remove the sigmoid in your model, as nn.CrossEntropyLoss expects logits, not probabilities.

If the loss is a constant zero, could you visualize some target and prediction images?
Just call pred = torch.argmax(output, 1) to get the model prediction.

1 Like

Hi

Yes, I removed the sigmoid and altered a few other things from the code originally posted (as for example the BCELoss() which is no longer used in favor of CrossEntropyLoss()).

I made the following visualization:

PredictionAndTarget

I am a little surprised to see that the model actually seems to be working :slight_smile:

In fact, the model has classified pixels that belong to the object class in the original image (which I unfortunately cannot show) but weren’t annotated as object in the labeled image.

I reckon that the zero loss I calculated from loss.item() is in fact a very small number, and maybe I should figure out a way to upscale it so it can be tracked

1 Like

The dice loss (dice score) or IoU might also be a good metric for segmentation use cases.