Unable to apply a basic filter using Functional Conv2D

Hi, I am trying to replicate the 2D convolutions using FFT. To test my understanding and my FFT convolution, I am applying a 5x5x3 sobel filter to a 256x256x3 image.
Surprisingly, I do see some edges in the final convolved image with my FFT convolution and I believe its right. But I get an img full of noise when I try using torch’s Functional Conv2d.
Code:
The sobel filter:

kernel = np.array([[[1, 2, 0, -2, -1], [4, 8, 0, -8, -4], [6, 12, 0, -12, -6], [4, 8, 0, -8, -4], [1, 2, 0, -2, -1]],
                   [[1, 2, 0, -2, -1], [4, 8, 0, -8, -4], [6, 12, 0, -12, -6], [4, 8, 0, -8, -4], [1, 2, 0, -2, -1]],
                   [[1, 2, 0, -2, -1], [4, 8, 0, -8, -4], [6, 12, 0, -12, -6], [4, 8, 0, -8, -4], [1, 2, 0, -2, -1]]])

Functional Conv2D usage:

kernel = np.expand_dims(kernel, axis=0)
weight = nn.Parameter(torch.from_numpy(kernel.astype(np.int8)), requires_grad=False)
print(weight.shape)
# weight = torch.unsqueeze(weight, 0)

new_img = np.expand_dims(img, axis=0)
new_img = nn.Parameter(torch.from_numpy(new_img.astype(np.int8)), requires_grad=False)
print(new_img.shape)
# new_img = torch.unsqueeze(new_img, 0)

classic_2d_conv = F.conv2d(new_img, weight, bias=None, stride=1, padding=2, dilation=1, groups=1)
classic_2d_conv = classic_2d_conv.cpu().detach().numpy()
classic_2d_conv = classic_2d_conv.reshape((256, 256, 1))
  • Edit: The kernel and the image have the dimensions in the right order. I just did not paste the snippet here. I have maintained (1, 3, 256, 256) for the image and (1, 3, 5, 5) for the kernel.

• I intend to perform “same” convolution, hence a padding of 2.

• 1 output channel, 3 input channel is intentional.

• In FFT convolution, I am convolving each image channel, with the corresponding filter channel. Then summing the 3 outputs into 1 thus arriving at the same behaviour as mentioned in the above point.

The output images:

I just cannot figure out why the Functional API is producing the gibberish image. Please point out if I am using the functional API in the wrong way or if I am missing some obvious thing. Thanks!
(Please let me know if you need more code snippets)

This might not be the root cause of the problem but I think you might want to change the data dtypes to something like int or long before running your computation. The issue is that you will likely overflow int8 if the original data is in 8-bit RGB, and this becomes even more likely during the accumulation in the convolution. After converting to a larger datatype, you can torch.clamp the values back to 0-255 for a viewable RGB image.

Hi! Well it almost worked… and thank you very much. I say almost because I think the colors are inverted.
With torch.clamp for output tensor and np.clip for my FFT convolution, the inversion (observe the back of the head of the bird) is much more prominent:

The edges are very similar but its the color I cannot understand why, are different. I will keep digging but do let me know if you have any clues.

Edit: it seems like either me or torch flips the kernel and then applies convolution. I flipped the kernel before converting it into weights and now I have the perfect replica. A few details remain, yet to be discovered!

1 Like

Ah, I think you have discovered that “convolution” from the perspective of deep learning frameworks is usually cross-correlation! :wink:

Yes. I love the insight. I think the direction of sliding the kernel across the input image, in torch, is opposite (in the directional sense) to the effect of FFT dot-product convolution I have been trying.