Undefined symbol pytorch 1.7.0 and above

I was working with PyTorch 1.5.0 for quite some time and decided to update to 1.9.0.

System: Ubuntu 18.04
Kernel: 4.15.0-147-generic #151-Ubuntu SMP
I use pyenv 2.0.3 to manage virtual environment and python versions.
I use python 3.7.9 installed with pyenv.

Make a new virtual environment with pyenv called XXXX.

My pip env shows

$ pip --version
pip 20.1.1 from /home/clement/.pyenv/versions/3.7.9/envs/XXXX/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip (python 3.7)
$ pip uninstall torch torchvision torchaudio
WARNING: Skipping torch as it is not installed.
WARNING: Skipping torchvision as it is not installed.
WARNING: Skipping torchaudio as it is not installed.
$ python3 -c "import torch; torch.__version__"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'torch'

Everything is clean with the new setup.
Now install PyTorch 1.9.0 everything goes well no error message from pip

pip3 install torch==1.9.0+cpu torchvision==0.10.0+cpu torchaudio==0.9.0 -f https://download.pytorch.org/whl/torch_stable.html

So everything looks fine but

$ python3 -c "import torch; torch.__version__"
  File "/home/clement/.pyenv/versions/3.7.9/envs/XXXX/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/__init__.py", line 197, in <module>
    from torch._C import *  # noqa: F403
ImportError: /home/clement/.pyenv/versions/3.7.9/envs/XXXX/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/lib/libtorch_cpu.so: undefined symbol: _ZN3c1019UndefinedTensorImpl10_singletonE

I found that any version above 1.7.0 (included) give me this kind of error message.

• 1.7.0+cpu: _ZTIN3c1010TensorImplE
  • 1.7.1+cpu: _ZTIN3c1010TensorImplE
  • 1.8.0+cpu: _ZTIN3c1010TensorImplE
  • 1.9.0+cpu: _ZN3c1019UndefinedTensorImpl10_singletonE

I also tried the “normal” version pip install torch==1.7.0 torchvision==0.8.0 torchaudio==0.7.0

• 1.7.0: _ZN3c107Warning4warnENS_14SourceLocationERKSsb
    I don’t have any compatible GPU so maybe the above error is as expected?

I also tried with the python 3.6.9 from the ubuntu 18.04 repository I have the same behavior as above.

Furthermore, I tried to clean anything on my system that contains find / -iname *torch*.

Honestly I don’t know where to look for this issue. Any version prior to 1.7.0 install and works without any issues.
I use docker with Ubuntu 18.04, and I could install 1.7.1 and works with torch. I think this come from my workstation, but I have no clues. If someone knows where I can start to look at.

Usually you would get this error message if you are trying to import custom extensions before importing PyTorch, which doesn’t seem to be the case here.
I also assume that you don’t have any files, which could cause conflicts, in the current working directory.
In that case, could you create a new virtual environment, install PyTorch there, and test it again?

No directory/file was named torch on my working folder, if it was the case I assume that torch==1.6.0 will also fail no ?

Here are the steps I have done for the new venv:

$ mkdir new_venv
$ cd new_venv
$ virtualenv -p python3 pytorch_test
Running virtualenv with interpreter /home/clement/.pyenv/shims/python3
Using base prefix '/usr'
New python executable in /home/clement/new_env/pytorch_test/bin/python3
Also creating executable in /home/clement/new_env/pytorch_test/bin/python
Installing setuptools, pkg_resources, pip, wheel...done.
$ source pytorch_test/bin/activate
(pytorch_test) $ where python3
/home/clement/new_env/pytorch_test/bin/python3
/usr/bin/python3
(pytorch_test) $ pip freeze
pkg-resources==0.0.0
(pytorch_test) $ pip install torch==1.7.0+cpu torchvision==0.8.0 torchaudio==0.7.0 -f https://download.pytorch.org/whl/torch_stable.html
(pytorch_test) $ python3 -c "import torch; print(torch.__version__)"
  File "/home/clement/new_env/pytorch_test/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/__init__.py", line 190, in <module>
    from torch._C import *
ImportError: /home/clement/new_env/pytorch_test/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/lib/libtorch_cpu.so: undefined symbol: _ZTIN3c1010TensorImplE
(pytorch_test) $ pip uninstall torch torchvision torchaudio
(pytorch_test) $ 
(pytorch_test) $ pip install torch==1.6.0+cpu torchvision==0.7.0+cpu -f https://download.pytorch.org/whl/torch_stable.html
(pytorch_test) $ python3 -c "import torch; print(torch.__version__)"
1.6.0+cpu

The only way I found to make it work is to use a docker container with the required PyTorch version in it.