Understanding bad results during training

Hi everyone,
I’m new to PyTorch and CNN. I’m trying to figure out which is the effect of the learning rate during the training phase on my net. I trained the same model for 8 epochs, initialized in the same way, using three different lr: 0.01, 0.001, 0.0001. I used Adam as optimizer without changing other parameters (I also tried sgd + momentum but it is even worse). I obtained the following results using a batch size of 32 (the first pair is concerned 0.01, the second one 0.001 and finally 0.0001):

I’m not using any regularization, so the model is clearly overfitting, but anyway the results seem too strange. In particular, the lowest learning rate goes down too fast and overfit more, which I would expect from a higher learning rate.
Adding a weight decay of 0.0001 I obtained similar results. I know I should try other regularization techniques, such as dropout or increasing weight decay, but I’m thiniking there’s an implementation problem. Can you help me to understand these results?
I’m working with FER 2013 dataset (images 48x48x1): https://www.kaggle.com/c/challenges-in-representation-learning-facial-expression-recognition-challenge/data
This is my net:

Net(
  (features): Sequential(
    (0): Conv2d(1, 64, kernel_size=(3, 3), stride=(1, 1), padding=(1, 1))
    (1): BatchNorm2d(64, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True, track_running_stats=True)
    (2): ReLU(inplace=True)
    (3): MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2, stride=2, padding=0, dilation=1, ceil_mode=False)
    (4): Conv2d(64, 128, kernel_size=(3, 3), stride=(1, 1), padding=(1, 1))
    (5): BatchNorm2d(128, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True, track_running_stats=True)
    (6): ReLU(inplace=True)
    (7): Conv2d(128, 256, kernel_size=(3, 3), stride=(1, 1), padding=(1, 1))
    (8): BatchNorm2d(256, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True, track_running_stats=True)
    (9): ReLU(inplace=True)
    (10): MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2, stride=2, padding=0, dilation=1, ceil_mode=False)
    (11): Conv2d(256, 256, kernel_size=(3, 3), stride=(1, 1), padding=(1, 1))
    (12): BatchNorm2d(256, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True, track_running_stats=True)
    (13): ReLU(inplace=True)
    (14): Conv2d(256, 64, kernel_size=(3, 3), stride=(1, 1), padding=(1, 1))
    (15): BatchNorm2d(64, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True, track_running_stats=True)
    (16): ReLU(inplace=True)
    (17): MaxPool2d(kernel_size=2, stride=2, padding=0, dilation=1, ceil_mode=False)
  )
  (classifier): Sequential(
    (0): Linear(in_features=2304, out_features=512, bias=True)
    (1): ReLU(inplace=True)
    (2): Linear(in_features=512, out_features=7, bias=True)
  )
)

I initialized an offline model in this way and saved its state, then I loaded it into the three models before training

def initialize_weight(self):
        for m in self.modules():
            if isinstance(m, nn.Conv2d) | isinstance(m, nn.Linear):
                nn.init.xavier_normal_(m.weight)
                if m.bias is not None:
                    nn.init.constant_(m.bias, 0)
            if isinstance(m, nn.BatchNorm2d):
                nn.init.constant_(m.weight, 1)
                nn.init.constant_(m.bias, 0)

These are the methods for fit and evaluate (I used nn.CrossEntropyLoss() as criterion):

def fit(self):
        for epoch in range(self.args.max_epochs):
            self.net.train()

training_loss = 0.0
            for i, data in enumerate(self.train_loader, 0):
                images, labels = data
                images = images.to(self.device)
                labels = labels.to(self.device)

self.optimizer.zero_grad()  
                output = self.net(images)  
                loss = self.criterion(output, labels)  
                loss.backward()  
                self.optimizer.step() 
                training_loss += loss.item() * images.size(0)  

epoch_training_loss = training_loss / len(self.train_data)  
            epoch_validation_loss = self.get_validation_loss()  

train_accuracy = self.evaluate(self.train_data)
            val_accuracy = self.evaluate(self.val_data)

def evaluate(self, data):
        loader = DataLoader(data, batch_size=self.args.bs,  num_workers=1, shuffle=False)
        self.net.eval()

num_correct, num_total = 0, 0

with torch.no_grad():
            for inputs in loader:
                images = inputs[0].to(self.device)
                labels = inputs[1].to(self.device)

outputs = self.net(images) 

_, preds = torch.max(outputs.detach(), 1)  
                num_correct += (preds == labels).sum().item()  
                num_total += labels.size(0)  

return num_correct / num_total

def get_validation_loss(self):
        self.net.eval()

validation_loss = 0
        for i, data in enumerate(self.val_loader, 0):
            images, labels = data
            images = images.to(self.device)
            labels = labels.to(self.device)

output = self.net(images)  
            loss = self.criterion(output, labels)  
            validation_loss += loss.item() * images.size(0)  

return validation_loss / len(self.val_data)

Thank you all!

First, note that your scales are different on each graph so this can be quite misleading.
Accuracy values are not so different if you take a closer look.

Many problems can happen during non-convex optimization of deep networks.
One problem could be that a smaller learning rate makes it more likely to get stuck in a local minima. Thus your model could be less general.

Please have a look on this link. Pasting relevant part below:

Low learning rates not only slow down training: they can even degrade the performance of the model. Though this guideline is still controversial, current conventional wisdom says that large learning rates increase generalization ability.

There are several explanations to this. One is that larger learning rates increase the noise on the stochastic gradient, which acts as an implicit regularizer. Another related explanation is that larger learning rates cause the model to converge to " wider " minima that generalize better. This is more fully explored in this paper, but the key idea is that “sharper” minima (minima where the loss function changes greatly when the parameters change slightly) generalize worse than minima where the loss function does not change as largely. This makes intuitive sense: for instance, if you were training an image classifier, you would expect inputs corresponding to similar images to have similar outputs, and thus similar loss values. If the loss changes rapidly, you wouldn’t expect the model to be robust to unseen inputs.

1 Like

Hi, @theevann.
First of all thank you so much for your reply and for the interesting article.
It’s the first time I’m studying and testing neural networks with a more complex dataset. So, if I understand correctly, adding regularization help me to avoid bad local minimums and find those that generalize better. Now, I’m a bit confused about the existence of a relationship between a bad local minimum and overfitting. Are they somehow related?
Could you kindly clarify me on this point or quote me some article about it?

Thank you so much for your help