Undescriptive error when trying to use torch_tensorrt.Input with torch_tensorrt.compile

When using this code, I get an error:

input = torch_tensorrt.Input(
        min_shape=(1, 3, config.model_image_size, config.model_image_size),
        opt_shape=(16, 3, config.model_image_size, config.model_image_size),
        max_shape=(16, 3, config.model_image_size, config.model_image_size),
        dtype=torch.half, name="x")

trt_gm = torch_tensorrt.compile(model, ir="dynamo", inputs=[input], enabled_precisions = {torch.half, torch.float}, output_format="torchscript")

torch.jit.save(trt_gm, "trt_model.ts")
  File "/mnt/c/Coding/Testing/PyTorch/MultiClassImageClassification/src/imclaslib/models/multilabel_classifier.py", line 22, in forward
    image_features = self.base_model(x)  # [batch_size, feature_dim]
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1520, in _call_impl
    return forward_call(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/timm/models/maxxvit.py", line 1264, in forward
    x = self.forward_features(x)
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/timm/models/maxxvit.py", line 1255, in forward_features
    x = self.stem(x)
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1520, in _call_impl
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/timm/models/maxxvit.py", line 1098, in forward
    x = self.norm1(x)
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/timm/layers/norm_act.py", line 118, in forward
    x = F.batch_norm(

However, I don’t get the same error if I pass in a real example batch of images instead of torch_tensorrt.Input:

images = images.half()
model = model.half()
trt_gm = torch_tensorrt.compile(model, ir="dynamo", inputs=[images], enabled_precisions = {torch.half, torch.float}, output_format="torchscript")

I enabled debug logging with torch_tensorrt and got the root error message though I’m still not sure what to do to get around this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/mnt/c/Coding/Testing/PyTorch/MultiClassImageClassification/src/compressmodel.py", line 48, in <module>
    trt_gm = torch_tensorrt.compile(model, ir="dynamo", inputs=[input], enabled_precisions = {torch.half, torch.float}, output_format="torchscript")
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch_tensorrt/_compile.py", line 228, in compile
    trt_graph_module = dynamo_compile(
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch_tensorrt/dynamo/_compiler.py", line 236, in compile
    trt_gm = compile_module(gm, inputs, settings)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch_tensorrt/dynamo/_compiler.py", line 346, in compile_module
    trt_module = convert_module(
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch_tensorrt/dynamo/conversion/_conversion.py", line 56, in convert_module
    interpreter_result = interpreter.run()
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch_tensorrt/dynamo/conversion/_TRTInterpreter.py", line 152, in run
    super().run()
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch/fx/interpreter.py", line 138, in run
    self.env[node] = self.run_node(node)
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch_tensorrt/dynamo/conversion/_TRTInterpreter.py", line 276, in run_node
    trt_node: torch.fx.Node = super().run_node(n)
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch/fx/interpreter.py", line 195, in run_node
    return getattr(self, n.op)(n.target, args, kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch_tensorrt/dynamo/conversion/_TRTInterpreter.py", line 362, in call_function
    return converter(self.ctx, target, args, kwargs, self._cur_node_name)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch_tensorrt/dynamo/conversion/aten_ops_converters.py", line 103, in aten_ops_batch_norm_legit_no_training
    return impl.normalization.batch_norm(
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/root/miniconda3/envs/multilabelimage_model_env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/torch_tensorrt/dynamo/conversion/impl/normalization/ops.py", line 60, in batch_norm
    if not ctx.net.has_implicit_batch_dimension and len(input.shape) < 4:
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ValueError: __len__() should return >= 0

Are you seeing this error in the latest nightly release?
CC @narendasan

I just tried:

python -m pip install --pre --upgrade torch torch-tensorrt tensorrt --extra-index-url https://download.pytorch.org/whl/nightly/cu121

to upgrade to the nightly version but it seems I get an error on the upgrade of tensorrt:

Collecting tensorrt
  Using cached tensorrt-9.3.0.post12.dev1.tar.gz (6.9 kB)
  Preparing metadata (setup.py) ... error
  error: subprocess-exited-with-error

× python setup.py egg_info did not run successfully.
  │ exit code: 1
  ╰─> [6 lines of output]
      Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "<string>", line 2, in <module>
        File "<pip-setuptools-caller>", line 34, in <module>
        File "/tmp/pip-install-dpkz1y4l/tensorrt_4c264976144a4ad8b7c6229173abb5ed/setup.py", line 90, in <module>
          raise RuntimeError("Bad params")
      RuntimeError: Bad params
      [end of output]

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.
error: metadata-generation-failed

× Encountered error while generating package metadata.
╰─> See above for output.

Also, as someone from nvidia, do you happen to know which of these options would give the best inference speed for using tensorrt?

1. converting a torch model to tensorrt using torch-tensorrt (AOT compilation)
  2. Converting a pytorch model to onnx and then running the onnx model with the tensorrt backend
  3. Converting the pytorch model directly to tensorrt with GitHub - NVIDIA-AI-IOT/torch2trt: An easy to use PyTorch to TensorRT converter
  4. Using tensorrt as the backend for torch.compile inside pytorch directly (JIT compilation version of 1)

I’m not actively developing TorchTRT so @narendasan can correct me, but I believe option 2 might be the fastest one but option 1 should give you more flexibility as it would be able to fall back to PyTorch operations if needed. Option 3 is deprecated.

1 Like

I was trying that option 2 and struggling on that front as well. I made another post with a wholistic set of everything I’ve tried, my model, my model file, logs, errors, etc:

The original error seems like its due to the use of dynamic shape with an operator converter that doesn’t fully support dynamic shape. Please file an issue in pytorch/tensorrt for this. In terms of performance, option 2. should be considered the upper bound as you have full control of the resulting engine and how it is run at the cost of additional developer work. We try to get option 1. to be as close to 2. as we can but as some ops may not get converted or there may be PyTorch specific overhead involve, sometimes this is not possible. Option 4. since it is JIT is the most flexible but sometimes you may hit recompilation or other details that impact performance.