Unique node name across graph re-compilations and graph breaks

I am working a custom backend for torch dynamo. If a recompilation is re-triggered for some reason (for example input shape changes), the backend should process a fx.Node the same way like it was in the first pass (e.g. some sort of caching).

However, I struggle to match the nodes across recompilations:

• the node name is not unique across if there’s graph breaks in the model. For example, if the model is broken into two graphs, and both contain an add, there will be in model two nodes named add.
  • I tried using the number of graph breaks as an additional identifier, but noticed that in some models the re-compiled graph has a different number of graph breaks then the originally traced one.
  • the id of the graph or nodes are always different, so this seems to be newly created torch.fx.Node and torch.fx.Graph instances.

Last but not least:

• I used the code snipped stored in the meta data to generate a hash and use that as an identifier together with the node name. However, I noticed that in the recompiled graph, the code can slightly differ. For example, one says “forward”, and during the recompilation it says "<resume in forward>"

I probably could work around this, but wanted to raise this here to see if a better solution can be found.

Thank you