Use `torch.fx.Graph` from `torch.dynamo`

We are using torch.fx to find functional calls like torch.add(x, x) and replace them with a call to a module.

This sometimes fails because torch.fx.tracing cannot handle some cases.

torch.dynamo however seems to be much more robust in generating the torch.fx.Graph then torch.fx.

Is there a path forward to integrate torch.fx. and torch.dynamo closer together?

I managed to get the torch.fx.graph out of by saving the graph through a custom backend. However, it is not as usable as the torch.fx.trace generated graph, because:

• in some cases one gets multiple graphs. It’s unclear how one needs to connect the multiple graphs, e.g. how does the output from one graph passed to another graph.
  • the module names are rewritten. They all get names like self_module_conv. I would like to maintain them.

fx is a representation and dynamo is a tracer so they already compose together, the fx tracer is unlikely to continue receiving support though

Also is this the tutorial you’re referring to? Google Colab - I think @SherlockNoMad explained to me how you can figure out which graph pipes to which other graph but I’m drawing a balnk

Hi @marksaroufim, thanks for the quick response :pray:

Yes, I saw that one and it’s also explained in:
https://pytorch.org/docs/stable/dynamo/custom-backends.html

There’s a few subtile difference that don’t allow me using it for my usecase when following the tutorial.

• torch.dynamo kind of flattens the module. It doesn’t seem no longer possible back to link it back to a specific module as far as I can tell. I need that to be able to further configure the model after it has been traced.
  • the aformentioned multiple graphs. I think I understand the necessity, but an easy way (some way will already exists somewhere deep) to connect the outputs correctly

Do you happen to know if there’s a timeline/roadmap on that one can look at? Or what’s the best way to get active myself?

Probably the best way is to author a longer issue here Issues · pytorch/pytorch · GitHub describing your use case