Warning and Error converting CenterNet model into ONNX

I’m trying to convert a CenterNet model into ONNX and then from ONNX to Caffe by using ONNXToCaffe, since the DCNv2 used in centernet is not yet available in Caffe so I only work on the version that doesn’t use it. More specifically, dlav0, in centernet.

I tried it in three ways:

1. create and load model using the code provided in CenterNet src, and convert it into ONNX directly using torch.onnx.export; all works well, I got a ‘.onnx’ file
  2. create and load model using the code provided in CenterNet src, then trace the tensor operation using torch.jit.trace, save into ‘.pth’ file, reload the ‘.pth’ file; before tracing the tensor I rewrote the forward function because the original output is a dict, I need a tensor output to trace:
model = get_dlav0(34, {'hm': 80, 'wh': 2, 'reg': 2},head_conv=256)
def forward(self, x):
    x = self.base(x)
    x = self.dla_up(x[self.first_level:])
    ret = []
    for head in self.heads:
        ret.append(self.__getattr__(head)(x))
    return torch.cat(ret,1)
model.forward = MethodType(forward,model)
model = load_model(model,modelpath)
dummy_input = torch.rand(1, 3, 512, 512)
model.eval()
target = model(dummy_input)
model = torch.jit.trace(model,dummy_input)
torch.jit.save(model,jitpath)

Then I reload the jit.pth file to export ONNX, then I got the following warrning:

UserWarning: Model has no forward function
warnings.warn(“Model has no forward function”)

I still got the onnx file and tested it with some input, looks right. Wondering why does this warning occur

1. I then tried similar stuff but with torch.jit.script this time, I got folloing RuntimeError:

RuntimeError:
Expected a default value of type Tensor (inferred) on parameter “residual”.Because “residual” was not annotated with an explicit type it is assumed to be type ‘Tensor’.:
File “D:\Code\Common-Model-Transformation-Service\src\dl2caffe\pytorch2caffe\CenterNet\src\lib\models\networks\dlav0.py”, line 42
def forward(self, x, residual=None):
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if residual is None:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
residual = x
~~~~~~~~~~~~

out = self.conv1(x)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    out = self.bn1(out)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    out = self.relu(out)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

out = self.conv2(out)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    out = self.bn2(out)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

out += residual
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    out = self.relu(out)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

return out
    ~~~~~~~~~~ <--- HERE

It has something to do with the residual block for DLA structure, any idea how to rewrite it?

I’m trying ‘trace’ or ‘script’ because I want someone else can use it without creating the model instance.

Doing everything on CPU, envs

ubuntu 18.04
pytorch 1.10.0

Thanks

Could you please show the code you used in the first way?