Warning of Pandas when customizing a dataset

Hi all :slight_smile:

I’m coding a custom (but simple) dataset for training an MLP with PyTorch. Basically, my data are numeric vectors of two classes so the whole dataset is a pandas.DataFrame whose first column is 0 or 1 (representing both classes) and the rest of columns are the numeric component of the vectors. Since each row represents a data, I consider that a natural PyTorch’s dataset class would be:

class MatrixDataset(Dataset):
    def __init__(self, data: pd.DataFrame, device):
        self.data = data
        self.device = device

def __len__(self):
        return self.data.shape[0]

def __getitem__(self, ind):
        row = self.data.iloc[ind]
        x = torch.tensor(row.iloc[1:], dtype=torch.float32, device=self.device)
        y = torch.tensor(row.iloc[0], dtype=torch.float32, device=self.device)
        return x, y

Actually, this Dataset works fine, but I receive the following warning

/path_to_my_script/script.py: FutureWarning: Series.getitem treating keys as positions is deprecated. In a future version, integer keys will always be treated as labels (consistent with DataFrame behavior). To access a value by position, use ser.iloc[pos]
x = torch.tensor(row.iloc[1:], dtype=torch.float32, device=self.device)

After searching about this warning, I still don’t get why it triggers because as many people say the warning is self-explanatory: ‘use .iloc method’ but I’m already using it. Furthermore, I try to replicate the error using Python’s interpreter in terminal and it doesn’t trigger.

Any help would be appreciated it, thanks in advance!

did you take that warning from all iloc’s. or only with x= part. is it about iloc[1:]

It is only from that part. I ‘patched’ it by passing .values instead of the actual serie :slight_smile:

1 Like