WeightDrop Error: Assigning FloatTensor to Parameter

Hi,

I have been running into a problem using the torchnlp WeightDrop functions in my model while training. Specifically, after initializing the WeightDropLinear layer, the code fails with the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/PyCharm.app/Contents/plugins/python/helpers/pydev/pydevd.py", line 1438, in _exec
    pydev_imports.execfile(file, globals, locals)  # execute the script
  File "/Applications/PyCharm.app/Contents/plugins/python/helpers/pydev/_pydev_imps/_pydev_execfile.py", line 18, in execfile
    exec(compile(contents+"\n", file, 'exec'), glob, loc)
  File "/Users/georgestoica/Desktop/icloud_desktop/Research/gcn-over-pruned-trees/train.py", line 189, in <module>
    loss = trainer.update(batch)
  File "/Users/georgestoica/Desktop/icloud_desktop/Research/gcn-over-pruned-trees/model/trainer.py", line 80, in update
    logits, pooling_output = self.model(inputs)
  File "/opt/anaconda3/envs/ENAS-pytorch/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 541, in __call__
    result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/Users/georgestoica/Desktop/icloud_desktop/Research/gcn-over-pruned-trees/model/gcn.py", line 29, in forward
    outputs, pooling_output = self.gcn_model(inputs)
  File "/opt/anaconda3/envs/ENAS-pytorch/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 541, in __call__
  File "/Users/georgestoica/Desktop/icloud_desktop/Research/gcn-over-pruned-trees/model/gcn.py", line 130, in forward
    tree_encodings, pool_mask = self.tree_lstm_wrapper(tree_adj, inputs, max_depth, max_bottom_offset)
  File "/Users/georgestoica/Desktop/icloud_desktop/Research/gcn-over-pruned-trees/model/gcn.py", line 230, in forward
    lstm_inputs = tree_lstm(lstm_inputs, trees, mask, max_depth)
  File "/Users/georgestoica/Desktop/icloud_desktop/Research/gcn-over-pruned-trees/model/tree_lstm.py", line 129, in forward
    child_mask
  File "/Users/georgestoica/Desktop/icloud_desktop/Research/gcn-over-pruned-trees/model/tree_lstm.py", line 82, in step
    h_iou = self.h_iou(h_j)                           # [B,T1,3H]
  File "/opt/anaconda3/envs/ENAS-pytorch/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torchnlp/nn/weight_drop.py", line 22, in forward
    setattr(module, name_w, w)
  File "/opt/anaconda3/envs/ENAS-pytorch/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 604, in __setattr__
    .format(torch.typename(value), name))
TypeError: cannot assign 'torch.FloatTensor' as parameter 'weight' (torch.nn.Parameter or None expected)

From the error, it seems the problem is caused by this logic in the forward function torchnlp/nn/weight_drop.py:

def forward(*args, **kwargs):
        for name_w in weights:
            raw_w = getattr(module, name_w + '_raw')
            w = torch.nn.functional.dropout(raw_w, p=dropout, training=module.training)
            setattr(module, name_w, w) # line 22 (my comment)

return original_module_forward(*args, **kwargs)

Line 22 attempts to set “w” to be the linear layer’s weight. However, the error above occurs because the torch.nn.functional.dropout() application turns raw_w from a parameter to a FloatTensor, and thus cannot replace the linear layer’s original weight parameter tensor.

One immediate solution I thought might be to change line 22 to:

setattr(module, name_w, Parameter(w))

However I am unsure of the implications of this during training. Is this a valid solution? Or is there something else that would be better?

Also, I believe (from my understanding of “setattr” <-- I couldn’t find the source code for this) that the following assignment which throws the same error also illustrates this problem:

l = torch.nn.Linear(1, 3)
l.weight = torch.nn.functional.dropout(l.weight, p=.5, training=True)

I believe this example emulates what “setattr” is doing (though I could be wrong here as I don’t know exactly what “setattr” source code’s is.

I am on pytorch version 1.3.1, torchnlp version 0.5.0, and python 3.7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Your workaround of assigning a new nn.Parameter looks alright.
Do you see any issue with this approach?

Yes, the setattr method should be equivalent to the direct assignment.

Thanks for the response! I’ll try it with the parameter call, I just wasn’t sure.