What is the meaning of trailing dimensions?

I was reading the documentation and I came across the following sentence:

• is any number of trailing dimensions, including none.

what is the meaning of “trailing dimensions”? May I also get an example to clarify the point?

for context:

Packs a Tensor containing padded sequences of variable length.

input can be of size T x B x * where T is the length of the longest sequence (equal to lengths[0] ), B is the batch size, and * is any number of dimensions (including 0). If batch_first is True , B x T x * input is expected.

For unsorted sequences, use enforce_sorted = False. If enforce_sorted is True , the sequences should be sorted by length in a decreasing order, i.e. input[:,0] should be the longest sequence, and input[:,B-1] the shortest one. enforce_sorted = True is only necessary for ONNX export.

I actually meant to ask about pad_sequence torch.nn — PyTorch 2.1 documentation

If you have an input of shape (T, B), you will get a packed sequence with shape (sum of lengths,) as data.
If you have an input of shape (T, B, F_1), you will get a packed sequence with shape (sum of lengths, F_1) as data.
If you have an input of shape (T, B, F_1, F_2), you will get a packed sequence with shape (sum of lengths, F_1, F_2) as data.

So * is a wildcard (similar to its use in file glob masks) representing any possible value of input.shape[2:].

Best regards

Thomas

what is sum of lengths? is it T*B? Who’s lengths?

also my question is in the context of padding not packing…so idk why packing is relevant…

https://pytorch.org/docs/stable/nn.html#pad-sequence

pad_sequence

torch.nn.utils.rnn.pad_sequence(sequences, batch_first=False, padding_value=0)[SOURCE]
Pad a list of variable length Tensors with padding_value

pad_sequence stacks a list of Tensors along a new dimension, and pads them to equal length. For example, if the input is list of sequences with size L x * and if batch_first is False, and T x B x * otherwise.

B is batch size. It is equal to the number of elements in sequences. T is length of the longest sequence. L is length of the sequence. * is any number of trailing dimensions, including none.

Yeah, well, you linked pack_padded_sequence before.
There it is the same, except that the lengths (which is an input to pack_padded_sequence) are not given as a parameter but are implicit in [len(s) for s in sequences] the sum of lengths is then the sum of the lengths parameter (sum(lengths)) or sum([len(s) for s in sequences]).

Best regards

Thomas

AFAIK this means that the resulting tensor can have an arbitrary number of dimensions with any shape after T and B dimensions.

For example, it could be a tensor of sizes:

1. torch.size([T, B])
  2. torch.size([T, B, 10]
  3. torch.size([T, B, 25, 500])
  4. and so on…

a real runnable example would be useful…

From the documentation:

>>> from torch.nn.utils.rnn import pad_sequence
>>> a = torch.ones(25, 300)
>>> b = torch.ones(22, 300)
>>> c = torch.ones(15, 300)
>>> pad_sequence([a, b, c]).size()
torch.Size([25, 3, 300])

Can be mutated to

>>> a = torch.ones(25, 300, 10)
>>> b = torch.ones(22, 300, 10)
>>> c = torch.ones(15, 300, 10)
torch.Size([25, 3, 300, 10])

to

>>> a = torch.ones(25, 300, 10, 5)
>>> b = torch.ones(22, 300, 10, 5)
>>> c = torch.ones(15, 300, 10, 5)
torch.Size([25, 3, 300, 10, 5])

to

>>> a = torch.ones(25, 300, 10, 5, 7)
>>> b = torch.ones(22, 300, 10, 5, 7)
>>> c = torch.ones(15, 300, 10, 5, 7)
torch.Size([25, 3, 300, 10, 5, 7])

I think you get the rough idea? * replaces (300,) or (300, 10) or (300, 10, 5) or (300, 10, 5, 7).

Best regards

Thomas

2 Likes