Where to find <torch/torch.h>?

I succeed in compiling the code with cmake directly, but when I use vscode for editing, it always get error message with <torch/torch.h> not found. How can I get it?

2 Likes

Hi,

you need to add the somewhat hidden <installation dir>/include/torch/csrc/api/include to the includes.
If you create the CMakeLists.txt as in the example, the TorchConfig.cmake should set it up for you up when running find_package(Torch REQUIRED).

Best regards

Thomas

6 Likes

It’s works!!
Thanks!!:grinning:

Hi I am starting using Torch in c++ and I do not know what are you refering as adding the folder to the includes. Sorry if this is a very basic question.

1 Like

It depends on how you compile your software.

If you use cmake you can do this in your CMakelist

find_package(Torch REQUIRED)
include_directories(SYSTEM ${TORCH_INCLUDE_DIRS})
1 Like

hi, i create CMakeLists.txt as in the example and I do the configuration but appearing an error is : torch_dir not found ? what do i do for succeful compiling .

Add this line to your project’s CMakeLists.txt file.

set(CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH "<libtorch-path>/share/cmake/Torch")

Hi,

After I linked <installation dir>/include/torch/csrc/api/include to the includes, with command line sudo ln -s /usr/local/Cellar/libtorch/1.6.0_1/include/torch/csrc/api/include/torch torch in the directory /usr/local/include, my vscode and ycm of vim still can’t work. Am I wrong?

I’m not sure symlinking is a good way to go about it, as you need several directories to be set up that contain torch (i.e. torch/include and torch/csrc/api/include).

1 Like

Did this work for you @naveen139?

Ignore that, that was for some workaround to get early alpha package working. In recent versions, you don’t need to do that. You can simply do below:

list(APPEND CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH "<libtorch-path>")

Should I add it in the CMakeLists.txt file or in TorchConfig.cmake?

Yes, in your root project folder’s CMakeLists.txt. Don’t make any changes to TorchConfig.cmake

but, if you are encountering an error missing dll(s) on windows, here is an workaround.

file(GLOB TORCH_DLLS ${TORCH_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib/*.dll)
 add_custom_command(TARGET <exe-name> POST_BUILD
   COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E copy
   ${TORCH_DLLS}
   ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}
   DEPENDS <exe-name>
 )

this copies dlls into path of your executable.

1 Like

This is my CMakeLists.txt. I am still getting the same error, which is "fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘torch/torch.h’ "

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.0 FATAL_ERROR)
project(example-app)

list(APPEND CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH "<my-libtorch-path>")
set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} ${TORCH_CXX_FLAGS}")
add_executable(example-app example-app.cpp)
target_link_libraries(example-app "${TORCH_LIBRARIES}")
set_property(TARGET example-app PROPERTY CXX_STANDARD 14)

if (MSVC)
  file(GLOB TORCH_DLLS "${TORCH_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib/*.dll")
  add_custom_command(TARGET example-app
                     POST_BUILD
                     COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E copy
                     ${TORCH_DLLS}
                     ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}
                     DEPENDS example-app)
endif (MSVC)

You forgot to add include paths.

include_directories(
  "${TORCH_INCLUDE_DIRS}"
)
2 Likes

where should I include that? Can you be more specific? I am a beginner dealing with CMake files.

Sure. Just add it in the same file, but before add_executable.

1 Like

Hi @naveen139, I installed the torch via pip. Now that how should I include the directories?

I don’t understand what you are trying to achieve. Are you trying to use libtorch to be able to call from python?

I am trying this basic one…

https://pytorch.org/cppdocs/installing.html

And I get the error "fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'torch/torch.h': No such file or directory "
I know I am missing the torch.h and I don’t where should I add that.