Where to use model.eval()?

I heard that model.eval() should be used during inference, I see it being used in validation data, so if I use for validation data, how I switch it off when I come back to training in next epoch?
Here is the code, before the validation loop, should I used it? Or should I use it, when every thing is done, and I am testing the test data?

from time import time

train_loss_plt=[]

val_loss_plt=[]

train_acc_plt=[]

val_acc_plt=[]

for ep in range(15):

start=time()

#start training loop

train_loss_sum=0

train_acc_sum=0

for train_batch in train_loader:

train_img,train_label=train_batch

train_img,train_label = train_img.to(device),train_label.to(device)

train_out=model(train_img)

train_loss=criterion(train_out,train_label)

opt.zero_grad()

train_loss.backward()

opt.step()

train_loss_sum+=train_loss.item()

train_acc_sum += ((torch.max(train_out,dim=1)[1]==train_label).sum().item())/len(train_label)

#start validation loop

val_loss_sum=0

val_acc_sum=0

#model.eval()

with torch.no_grad():

for val_image,val_label in val_loader:

val_image,val_label=val_image.to(device),val_label.to(device)

val_out=model(val_image)

val_loss=criterion(val_out,val_label)

val_loss_sum+=val_loss.item()

val_acc_sum+=((torch.max(val_out,dim=1)[1]==val_label).sum().item())/len(val_label)

end=np.round((time()-start)/60,2) #time in minute

#calculate print and append the results for plotting purpose

val_avg_loss=np.round(val_loss_sum/len(val_loader),2)#val loss of all batches of one epoch

train_avg_loss=np.round(train_loss_sum/len(train_loader),2)# train loss of all batches of one epoch

train_avg_acc=np.round(train_acc_sum/len(train_loader),2)#train acc of all batches of one epoch

val_avg_acc=np.round(val_acc_sum/len(val_loader),2)#val acc of all batches of one epoch

scheduler.step(val_avg_loss)

print('Epoch {}, time {} , train acc  {}, train loss {} , val acc is {}, loss is {}, learning rate is {} '.format

(ep,end,train_avg_acc,train_avg_loss,val_avg_acc,val_avg_loss,opt.param_groups[0]['lr']))

train_loss_plt.append(train_avg_loss)  #append loss of training data  

val_loss_plt.append(val_avg_loss)     #append loss of validation data

train_acc_plt.append(train_avg_acc)  #append acc of training data  

val_acc_plt.append(val_avg_acc)     #append acc of validation data
1 Like

Whenever you want to test your model you want to set it to model.eval() before which will disable dropout (and do the appropriate scaling of the weights), also it will make batchnorm work on the averages computed during training. Your code where you’ve commented model.eval() looks like like the right spot to set it to evaluation mode. Then after you simply do model.train() and you’ve enabled dropout, batchnorm to work as previously.

2 Likes

so i have to put mode.train() before training loop? to activate it again in second epoch? Because once it turned off in validation mode, need to be turned on in training mode.

By default it’s going to be set to training unless you’ve somewhere set it to evaluation mode. In your case I would do something like this:

model.eval()
with torch.no_grad():
    for val_image, val_label in val_loader:
        # compute stuff here
model.train()

3 Likes

so in each epoch, the model need to set to validation using model.train() and then set back to training for next epoch?

Yes, if you’ve set it to model.eval() for validation then you need to set it back to training before you continue training.

2 Likes