Whether the GeneralizedRCNN model (trained by detectron2) can be converted to Onnx with torch.onnx.export()?

I’ve been trying for days to use torch.onnx.export() to convert my trained detectron2 model to onnx.

The detectron2 model is a GeneralizedRCNN model, It is also the ideal model that took me a long time to train, using my own data set.

Now I want to convert it to onnx to deploy it, but there are always various errors.

When I read the official document today, I found that it seems that the model of type “recurrent network” cannot be converted with torch.onnx.export()? It is said that torch.jit.trace() cannot convert it.

Sincerely and eagerly requesting an answer, is it possible to use torch.onnx.export() to complete the conversion of the detectron2 trained GeneralizedRCNN model?

I have been tortured for many days, please help me dear experts!

Based on this issue it seems to be possible to export Detectron2 to ONNX. Did you already check this topic?

Still can’t achieve that …

1、I guarantee I followed the instructions on the README carefully. TensorRT/samples/python/detectron2 at main · NVIDIA/TensorRT · GitHub

2、The only difference is I used my custom data, I’m wondering if the conversion can’t be done after using the custom data?
(According to my understanding, after using custom dataset, only the weight of the model has changed, but the structure of the model has not changed, so Detectron 2 → ONNX → TensorRT should work as well. I don’t know if the current conversion can only be done for Mask R-CNN R50-FPN 3x? Or we can also convert the transfer learning model with custom dataset?).

3、.yaml file changed a little bit for transfer learning.

--------------My Code--------------------------

%run /content/detectron2/tools/deploy/export_model.py \ --sample-image /content/new_1344_1344.jpg \ --config-file /content/output.yaml \ --export-method tracing \ --format onnx \ --output /content \ MODEL.WEIGHTS /content/output/model_final.pth \ MODEL.DEVICE cuda

--------------My Code--------------------------

--------------The Bug--------------------------

`KeyError Traceback (most recent call last)

/content/detectron2/tools/deploy/export_model.py in
224 exported_model = export_scripting(torch_model)
225 elif args.export_method == “tracing”:
→ 226 exported_model = export_tracing(torch_model, sample_inputs)
228 # run evaluation with the converted model

8 frames

[/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/torch/onnx/symbolic_opset9.py] in to(g, self, *args)
1994 # aten::to(Tensor, Tensor, bool, bool, memory_format)
1995 dtype = args[0].type().scalarType()
→ 1996 return g.op(“Cast”, self, to_i=sym_help.cast_pytorch_to_onnx[dtype])
1997 else:
1998 # aten::to(Tensor, ScalarType, bool, bool, memory_format)

KeyError: ‘UNKNOWN_SCALAR’`

--------------The Bug--------------------------

--------------Environment Information--------------------------

PyTorch version: 1.10.1+cu111
Is debug build: False
CUDA used to build PyTorch: 11.1
ROCM used to build PyTorch: N/A

GCC version: (Ubuntu 9.4.0-1ubuntu1~20.04.1) 9.4.0
Clang version: 10.0.0-4ubuntu1
CMake version: version 3.22.6
Libc version: glibc-2.31

Python version: 3.8.10 (default, Nov 14 2022, 12:59:47) [GCC 9.4.0] (64-bit runtime)
Python platform: Linux-5.10.147±x86_64-with-glibc2.29
Is CUDA available: True
CUDA runtime version: 11.2.152
CUDA_MODULE_LOADING set to:
GPU models and configuration: GPU 0: Tesla T4
Nvidia driver version: 510.47.03
cuDNN version: Probably one of the following:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcudnn.so.8.1.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcudnn_adv_infer.so.8.1.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcudnn_adv_train.so.8.1.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcudnn_cnn_infer.so.8.1.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcudnn_cnn_train.so.8.1.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcudnn_ops_infer.so.8.1.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcudnn_ops_train.so.8.1.1
HIP runtime version: N/A
MIOpen runtime version: N/A
Is XNNPACK available: True

CPU:
Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
Address sizes: 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
CPU(s): 2
On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 1
Socket(s): 1
NUMA node(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 85
Model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU @ 2.00GHz
Stepping: 3
CPU MHz: 2000.210
BogoMIPS: 4000.42
Hypervisor vendor: KVM
Virtualization type: full
L1d cache: 32 KiB
L1i cache: 32 KiB
L2 cache: 1 MiB
L3 cache: 38.5 MiB
NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0,1
Vulnerability Itlb multihit: Not affected
Vulnerability L1tf: Mitigation; PTE Inversion
Vulnerability Mds: Vulnerable; SMT Host state unknown
Vulnerability Meltdown: Vulnerable
Vulnerability Mmio stale data: Vulnerable
Vulnerability Retbleed: Vulnerable
Vulnerability Spec store bypass: Vulnerable
Vulnerability Spectre v1: Vulnerable: __user pointer sanitization and usercopy barriers only; no swapgs barriers
Vulnerability Spectre v2: Vulnerable, IBPB: disabled, STIBP: disabled, PBRSB-eIBRS: Not affected
Vulnerability Srbds: Not affected
Vulnerability Tsx async abort: Vulnerable
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq ssse3 fma cx16 pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch invpcid_single ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx avx512f avx512dq rdseed adx smap clflushopt clwb avx512cd avx512bw avx512vl xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves arat md_clear arch_capabilities

Versions of relevant libraries:
[pip3] mypy-extensions==1.0.0
[pip3] numpy==1.21.6
[pip3] torch==1.10.1+cu111
[pip3] torchaudio==0.10.1+rocm4.1
[pip3] torchsummary==1.5.1
[pip3] torchtext==0.14.1
[pip3] torchvision==0.11.2+cu111
[conda] Could not collect

--------------Environment Information--------------------------

Were you able to successfully run the example?
If so, try to apply your changes separately and check which one might break your current workflow.

Hi ptrblck, what i am worrying now, is afraid that the conversion can’t be done after using the custom data.

If so, the carefully and separately trying is useless effort…

Do we have succeesful example that Detectron 2 → ONNX → TensorRT, with a custom data trained Detectron2 model ?

I don’t know and have thus recommended to verify the workflow first, which should work.

I am sorry for a silly question but what is the cause of error if you were able to find out?
Its a bit unclear to me.
Is it related to opset?

Hi ptrblck, i took your advice, tried to run the example.

This time I didn’t use my custom data, totally followed the original workflow. ( TensorRT/samples/python/detectron2 at main · NVIDIA/TensorRT · GitHub )

But, I still met the same error… KeyError: ‘UNKNOWN_SCALAR’` (as above shows the detail)

I have already be stucked by this problem for a month, could you please help me…

Hi @Panda_BruceLee
If you are trying to convert a detectron2 model, instead of using torch.onnx.export(),
I highly recommend export_model.py which is present in tools/deploy directory of detectron2.

Using this, I was able to convert a detectron2 model into the onnx format just a few days back.