Why is torch.mm non deterministic?

Hello,
I get the following error (this error has been referenced many times on the internet, but putting it here anyways) -

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 79, in <module>
    main()
  File "main.py", line 69, in main
    distillation = Distillation(train_loader, train_dataset, model_wt_path, config_dict, args.seed) # passing the mean and stddev of the dataset for the images, this is more specific to images when done in this context
  File "/x0/megh98/projects/ddist/distillation.py", line 44, in __init__
    train_acc = self.run_validation(self.train_loader)
  File "/x0/megh98/projects/ddist/distillation.py", line 66, in run_validation
    logits = self.net(img)
  File "/x0/megh98/anaconda3/envs/ddist/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1110, in _call_impl
    return forward_call(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/x0/megh98/projects/ddist/models/networks.py", line 67, in forward
    out = self.classifier(out)
  File "/x0/megh98/anaconda3/envs/ddist/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py", line 1110, in _call_impl
    return forward_call(*input, **kwargs)
  File "/x0/megh98/anaconda3/envs/ddist/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/linear.py", line 103, in forward
    return F.linear(input, self.weight, self.bias)
RuntimeError: Deterministic behavior was enabled with either `torch.use_deterministic_algorithms(True)` or `at::Context::setDeterministicAlgorithms(true)`, but this operation is not deterministic because it uses CuBLAS and you have CUDA >= 10.2. To enable deterministic behavior in this case, you must set an environment variable before running your PyTorch application: CUBLAS_WORKSPACE_CONFIG=:4096:8 or CUBLAS_WORKSPACE_CONFIG=:16:8. For more information, go to https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cublas/index.html#cublasApi_reproducibility

when I set - torch.use_deterministic_algorithms(True). This is no surprise. When I went to the docs here - torch.use_deterministic_algorithms — PyTorch 1.12 documentation , it mentions that torch.mm is a non deterministic operation. So, I have the following 2 questions -

1. Why would a simple matrix multiplication such as torch.nn be a non-deterministic operation?
  2. From the error traceback it seems like the non-determinism is coming from the F.linear function, which after looking at the pytorch GitHub seems to use torch.matmul which inturn uses torch.mm atleast according to my understanding - and this is what is leading to the non determinism. Am I right in my understanding here?
    Thanks!

the reasoning is given in both the error message and the documentation and it points to this link: cuBLAS :: CUDA Toolkit Documentation

Thanks @smth - yes, I did read the explanation in the link earlier, but it seems like the explanation is a general one where they mention stuff about cuda streams etc. But, I wanted to know what is specific about the torch.mm function that makes it non-deterministic, is it related the explanation given here - cuBLAS :: CUDA Toolkit Documentation - is it something related to the parallelism of the matrix multiplies?

yes, the non determinism comes from torch.mm calling cublas and cublas being non deterministic in these cases

Hi, sorry to open this issue again, but I am still not completely clear as to why torch.mm is non deterministic. I understand that there are some backend cuda operations that are non deterministic, but a matrix multiply must be deterministic right? Other wise if I do AB where A and B are matrices, and I do the same operation again, I will get 2 different results which does not make sense?
Am I missing some crucial point here? Please let me know and thanks again for your time.

Depending on the algorithm and its implementation a matmul kernel could be non-deterministic. Especially if you are using workspaces to stored intermediate results, algorithms using split-k, etc.